Glass Discussion & Research. No ID requests here please. > Far East (excluding China)

Pulegoso bowl with gold foil. ID = Iwata, Japan

(1/4) > >>

Hello all,

To be honest, I'm not really sure this is Murano but it has many characteristics that point in that direction.

It stands 9 cm H and 11 cm W. Very thick walled and heavy for it's size. It has a ground pontal that shows a fair amount of age.

I can't say I have ever seen a piece of Murano glass with gold foil geometric shapes and a black figurative or abstract design on pulegoso technique. Although I have come learn that the little island of Murano is full of surprises!

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Rob, what a beautiful piece.
With that abstract decoration I thought of Beranek pulegoso from the 1940s first (like >> this one), but I have never seen a piece with gold by them, neither does the shape fit.

So rather Murano?

Thanks for responding Michael.

I can see the similarities in the pulegoso technique and I was also thinking this piece could be from the 30's or 40's.

Something I noticed this morning while taking more photo's of it is that the glass that encases the pulegoso is a champagne coloured and not transparent with fine gold dust as I first thought.

It's a great little piece and I'm hoping that there is someone here who has some definite information on it.

Very nice collection you have Michael. Not at all jealous!

Thanks for the kind words, Rob -- my small Murano collection can't compete with yours ;)
Sorry I can not be of more help regarding your nice bowl...

I would have to say that it reminds me more of Beranek than Italian also....  Likely 40's if it is..... 

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version