No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pulegoso bowl with gold foil. ID = Iwata, Japan  (Read 10885 times)

Offline busterj

• Members
    • Canada
    • My glass on Picasa
Re: Pulegoso bowl with gold foil
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've had this bowl/ashtray for a while now and had pretty well given up finding who the maker was, until today. Hope springs eternal?

Someone on another site suggested I do a search for Toshichi Iwata or Itoko Iwata. After looking at a few photos I can see that the use of gold leaf and in some cases, soda glass are similar to this piece but not the shape.

So I'm hoping that I might find a few more leads from you knowledgeable folks who know about Japanese glass.

It stands 9 cm H and 11 cm W. Very thick walled and heavy for it's size. It has a ground pontal that shows a fair amount of age.

Any help would be much appreciated.

rob

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »
I've merged your post from yesterday with your earlier topic about this item, which already has a number of replies, and I've moved the whole merged topic into GLASS, which is the proper place to ask for an identification of a piece of unknown origin.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, very interesting discovery!
Unfortunately there is so little info available about post war Japanese glass...

>> This vase from the Metropolitan Museum of Art collection has quite a few similarities to your lovely piece; and 1959 seems reasonable regarding the shape and the age related ware.

Michael

Offline busterj

• Members
    • Canada
    • My glass on Picasa
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »
Thanks Michael,

Thats one of the pieces that I came across which made me think that this could actually be Japanese.

You're right about there not being much information about post war Japanese glass. The glass that I have looked at so far has certainly spark my interest.

I hope that someone who is knowledgeable about Japanese glass will see this thread and maybe give me a few more leads.

Fingers crossed,

rob

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 01:13:15 AM »
There was a thread back in 2006 asking about Toshi Iwata, a few links were given:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3903.msg30404.html#msg30404
KevinH

Offline busterj

• Members
    • Canada
    • My glass on Picasa
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
Thanks KevinH,

Some good leads. Will pursue later today.

Thanks again,

rob

Offline racer

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 05:16:00 AM »
This is by Iwata, but is a design by Hisatoshi (known as Kuri) who was the son of Toshi.  I have a number of vases in this design, which I think date to the 1980s, and which I have given the name Calligraphy (I don't know the studio name!).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand