No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Nouveau Glass & Metal Vases - ID = F. W. Quist of Esslingen, Germany  (Read 13348 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Hi

Here are two art nouveau white metal / silver plated vase bases with clear engraved glass inserts – I am thinking of selling some of my better pieces like these and need an attribution.

The mark is hard to define as the inside is roughly cast and plated blurring the shallow mark which is typical – under the mark is a number 4415 – there are also scratched marks on both bases which you can see in the photos.

These vases have fantastic casting and although the surface took some cleaning there is no rubbing to the silver plate at all, even the inner parts are OK if a little black here and there.

The total height is 10.75” – the glass insert is 8” high and both are original and undamaged with simple hand engraved line and floral ‘art novo’ motifs – the base of the glass inserts are beautifully polished and as I look up the clear glass I can see circular lines like turning that I notice in a lot of older glass.

Marks

Any information on maker which could be French or British appreciated

Turned one way the mark looks vaguely like a WMF mark but I know these are not WMF even though I cannot discern the detail in the marks - they are of that period (1900s) but I don't think these are German they have a ‘bell époque’ with whiplash look about them.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
Art Nouveau Glass & Metal Vases ID Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:41:25 AM »
Here are some more images of mark - 1cm x 0.5cm and unable to read due to plating

The shape and motif can be seen here, but which way around and what is the wording if any?

I think I am getting close with names like Orivit, Kayserzinn, Nekrassoff, etc.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »
I've tried to draw a picture of what I can see inside the circle from two different photo's.
http://tinypic.com/vy2kbd.jpg
http://tinypic.com/vy2kjp.jpg

This might be a trick of the light but the first picture shows a 6 pointed star.

Is it also possible that the circle is a globe?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 08:01:30 PM »
Thank you Tiger  :!:

That is very kind of you and will help a great deal.

I will definitely use your interpretations in my ongoing research.

In the last picture of my first post you can see where the moulding to the metal matches up to the engraving on the glass (which I think is crystal) - at the bottom of the blank cartouche.

:)  :)  :)

Adam P

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 02:07:26 AM »
I used silver a foil rub and have the main circle - opposite is a motif or words I can't get – may be some kind of animal

You were right about the star Tiger!

A better look at the glass insert

The motif ties up with that on the silver plated moulding

Thanks

Adam P

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 12:14:02 PM »
Hi Adam
Nice looking inserts. Cut rim + engraving points towards Czech or the German / Czech border regions for the glass, which looks good quality ....what's your estimation ?

Of course the metal work could well be made in a different country in any case.

Adam said

but I don't think these are German they have a ‘bell époque’ with whiplash look about them.
So does much early WMF ! and so does some of the output of Orvit and Kayserzin (spell ?) (Edit Correction : Kayserzinn) which were both taken over by WMF I believe.
One if not both of these were in Belgium or near there I think.
Another possible maker is Urania in Maastricht ...and if I have this right, their work was marked "Imperial-Zinn".

Here's a book ref
Art Nouveau Domestic Metalwork: From Wurttembergische Metallwaren Fabrik 1906, 2nd Edition
Antique Collectors Club, Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik, Graham Dry
Hardcover  /  389 Pages  /  Antique Collectors Club Ltd  /  March 2006

and a website for marks
http://www.antikonline.de/wmfmarks1.htm

I will also write to a very knowledgable collector to ask for his input here.
Pete

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »
Hi Peter

I do think the glass looks Czech/Austrian/German from other inserts I have had - it is simply but beautifully cut.

I take your point that the base may have been added (or visa versa) but see how the motif at the bottom of the (base) cartouche is same as the engraving to glass - In fact I know for a fact glass inserts were often farmed out as you say.

At first I thought these may be Italian (hence - bell époque’) I take your point ref all the other factories you quote after looking at the pictures on the net - there are actually quite a lot of Austrian Secessionist elements in my vases.

Kayserzin - I get 'do you mean Kayserzinn' and lots of Kayserzinn links when I add the extra n?

What do you think of the base mark - it is pretty spot on - what about the star, is that the early Czech communist star? It can't be as that would make the vase too late in date.

The double dot is used in the German language, what about Austrian & Czech?

The mark shape is same as WMF (1909 on) - the contents are different but there may be something in this?

One thing I forgot to add is the vase bases were covered by a thin film of Varnish, I have cleaned up all the nasty areas were it was peeling but it is still on the handles and in the features – most annoyingly it is (was) over the marks which are very thickly plated anyway – this protective coating is something WMF did to silver plate and can be a real pain.

I am a bit lost on this one Peter so thanks for the book reference and the links - also thanks for passing my info on, much appreciated.

Adam P

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 02:31:28 PM »
Your mention of varnish rang alarm bells.

I have just looked at the metalwork propperly. I was responding mainly to your remarks re WMF - apologies.

It doesn't look, to me, like nouveau / secession peices of the period, I'm afraid. None that I have seen anyway.

This has too much extra decoration and looks more like 50s onwards.

The double dot (Umlaut) is NOT used in Czech but I have doubts that it meant to be an umlaut.
If it says Buist or Bjist or Bijst ...then that sounds Dutch to me.
Pete

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
Hi Peter

The varnish was a bit globular in some places so it could have been done later on, even by the previous owner.

That said I have WMF silver plated pieces that are 1909 - 20s which are varnished - I don't know if it was on request but it is a fine shellac (?) that is less likely to go yellow than the later WMF 1950s - 60s metal which has a sort of plastic which peels off - I have these black and white striped pieces they made.

I also think the two dots are the tops of i's

My last post showed my interpretation of the foil rub - I could have elements wrong - here is the original rub

I do think the vases are nouveau period - lots of elements went into these metal designs including some Victorian floral design - the top motif is very Horta while the whiplash handles ending in squared off feet are very nouveau. Perhaps secessionist is the wrong word for this - it is not angular enough I agree.

I actually think it is too simple (which worries me) WMF and other factories threw every naked twisting woman and bit of whiplashed foliage they could into the mix.

I do have one reservation in the communist looking star in the mark.

Can you still send to your friend Peter? I would like an attribution as I paid near £300.00 for these as 1900s and would be taking them back if I thought they were later interpretations.

Thanks

Adam P

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 09:17:47 PM »
Is it not a russian star? The star and the unusual monogram reminds me of a few Russian marks that I find on pottery :?:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand