No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Nouveau Glass & Metal Vases - ID = F. W. Quist of Esslingen, Germany  (Read 13350 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Art Nouveau Glass & Metal Vases ID Needed
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »
It could be Tiger

In which case I would be very worried

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 09:55:35 PM »
I confess to not knowing Russian history.  :oops:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 10:00:43 PM »
I think a lot of Russians feel the same :wink:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 09:20:28 AM »
It probably is Russian, I was looking at a site of russian metalwork recently and many items like this. Google tea glasses, I have forgotten the site now but it had A LOT.

Russian name is Podstakannik, the site had old ones and current production, it also sold old glasses for inside and offered new ones cut, etched or plain.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 02:08:15 PM »
Thanks Frank

I will do that - If Tiger and yourself turn out to be right many thanks

I have a book on Russian metalwork - Faberge and factories like that including some plated ware - I guess I never thought of this kind of work being Russian, style wise that is.

Adam P

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 12:04:12 AM »
Hi

This is a link to a podstakannik – which means ‘under the glass’ my vases are not like these really
link podstakannik

Here are two very similar WMF vases – the low metal base with floral decoration and the long engraved glass insert – My vases are not WMF but in the style of and I think looking at other pieces of the period?

link WMF

Adam P

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 10:26:26 AM »
Adam, this from my contact Jeff Smallowitz a long time collector of WMF and similar.
--------------------------------------------
Hi Peter,
Please excuse the tardiness of this reply.  After 2½ weeks, we returned from China last night.   I welcome your emails and will always share what I know.  In this case though, it’s not much.

I checked my usual resources and these vases have me stumped. They are not Russian and not from the fifties.  They appear to be old, German, and of the same period as Art Nouveau/Jugendstil WMF.  I agree with the first assessment you posted on April 27th about the possible manufacturers and suggest that this is another job for the silver salon forums at:   http://www.smpub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

They have a forum on silverplate and I bet they can help.  I’d be interested in the answer and will follow the thread.  You are welcome to post any or all of this.  Sorry I am not more help.
Regards,
Jeff
-------------------
Hope this helps
Pete

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »
That is excellent news Peter. Thank you so much for contacting Jeff - please thank him for me when you email him next.

It is a relief to know they are not repro!

Thanks also for the link, I have never heard of the Silver Salon Forum - I will contact / post there a.s.a.p.

Adam P

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 08:35:04 AM »
:D:D:D

I've just found this listing, which shows a Kayserzinn mark.

link
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »
Hi Sue

This is the mark I kept on getting for Kayserzinn pewter while researching, the silver plate marks are different but still unlike the mark on my vases.

The only common denominator is the four digit number - I found that a few other German/Austrian companies used a similar four digit number system.

Thanks for looking

Appreciated

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand