No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request for Perthshire p/w  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date request for Perthshire p/w
« on: January 05, 2013, 07:50:33 PM »
not my area at all so forgive the ignorance, and naively thought that the 'P' was a date code.         Internet seems to be saying that pre 1979 Perthshire pieces also frequently show the year - which, however, I can't see on this one  -  is it possible to date this item please.            I also seem to be reading that these pastel canes, plus the bristol blue base, were often a trade mark of Peter McDougall, and hoping someone might be able to confirm of I'm right or wrong.         Diameter is about 2.5" - 62mm and base has ground/polished pontil depression.         Thanks for looking :) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: date request for Perthshire p/w
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »
Only a few designs had the date letters added from A in 1969 to Z in 1994. Some designs also had a date cane set in the base P1980 etc. I've not heard of the blue base and pastel canes being specific to Peter.

This is a PP2 the hollow ground base and central P cane shows it to be made after 1978. Before '78 it would have a fire polished base and no P cane.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »
thanks for the informative reply - very much appreciated. :)         

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »

Hi Paul.

You don't say where on the internet you saw this comment about pre-1979 pieces often being dated, but it sounds like a site to avoid in future (along with Hobbizine, for example). There are some very good paperweight sites on the internet, but - sadly - some very bad / misleading ones too.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
hi Alan  -  unfortunately, I don't now remember.            I often view reams of internet sites whilst in the pursuit of information when I'm in the dark (frequently) about some newish subject, but mostly don't recall where I've been looking.          If I can remember, I'll post details, otherwise many thanks for the advice. :)

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
Hi Paul,
I would like to add something to the other comments, Perthshire made the
PP5 model (Mahoney p.81) and this also has the hollow ground base (after 1972 until 1995) and
it is also distinguished by the translucent ground (while PP2 always has opaque grounds)-

For the P signature in PP 2 Mahoney says weights before 1978 are unsigned, weights made since 1978 have a center "P".
The PP 5 can have a very similar cane layout as PP2 does, but the translucent ground with yours point
at PP 5 also, I had do "move" one unsigned from PP2 to PP 5 on behalf of the translucent ground,
kind regards e.j.m.
EJM

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
many thanks for this additional information e.j.m - I shall now re-categorize this one as PP5, although assume the date will remain post '78, in view of the 'P' signature.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand