No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Deco lamp very unusual glass shade  (Read 9991 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Deco lamp very unusual glass shade
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:30:43 PM »
Bought this lamp today, the body and base are wonderful solid marble with chrome fittings and it screams 1930's, but it's the shade that really does it for me. Circular glass with the lower 2/3 having a vaseling like opaqueness. the top has 4 deep ridges that go into the inside with the appearance of fork lightening and the top has a vaseline like amber area. The effect when lit is wonderful and never seen a shade like it so any ideas anyone, overall height is 22" and weighs a ton.

http://i3.tinypic.com/vooi8p.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/vooldi.jpg

Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 09:38:53 PM »
AMAZING, Paul!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
I've never come across a lamp quite like it so we are now trying to find the right place in the house for it as I'd like to keep it. The trouble is I'm a sucker for lights and I've just got back the two I bought in France from being rewired so a bit of rethink called for tomorrow.
Paul

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 09:42:02 PM »
I'd take more time for that than one night only! I am sure that in the bottom of your heart you knew its place when buying it  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »
I've got an antique lacquered and hand painted octagonal Korean hat box that I bought when I worked out there in the late 1970's and I think it will probably end up on that in the lounge.
Also bought a deco double inkwell and a big buch of lovely 18th century iron keys.
Paul

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 10:11:36 PM »
I'm really a minimalist at heart, but it just never seems to work out that way.
Paul

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:25:53 AM »
I think Nic's the lamp expert, but I do search ebay for Peill & Putzler art glass sometimes. They did a lot of lighting, and I'm sure I've seen similar shades in the passing......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Deco lamp very unusual glass shade
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
The effect when lit is wonderful and never seen a shade like it so any ideas anyone, overall height is 22" and weighs a ton.

Peill & Putzler used to make very similar ones. There's a large junk shop in York that has 3 or 4 of these in stock if you ever accidentally break that one, though. I'm not 100% sure that the shade is original, as I've only ever seen them used as ceiling lamp shades before. But I'd be very pleased to be wrong!

Oops... just read all the threads (I've only just noticed it's spread over 2 pages), and Sue beat me to the P&P attribution...  :D

Quote from: "chuggy"
The trouble is I'm a sucker for lights and I've just got back the two I bought in France from being rewired so a bit of rethink called for tomorrow.

You should see my place!  :shock:  It's fun when you get to combine lamps and glass, though!  :D

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 06:23:16 AM »
As a real rookie where lighting is concerned, I'm surprised by the thickness and weight  of the glass shade, far heavier than I expected, would this be typical of P&P work?
Paul

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 07:35:05 AM »
I really couldn't answer that - the only absolutely verified P&P lamps I've seen are from literature and eBay - I've never bought any or seen any in design shops or antique fairs that I could handle for myself. The ones in York I mentioned had no labels, so I couldn't say for certain that they were by P&P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand