No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help me with my Grandmother's Blue Opaline Glass  (Read 930 times)

Offline essextiger22

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • mid century glass
    • Washington, DC, USA
Help me with my Grandmother's Blue Opaline Glass
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:11:02 AM »
Hi.  I'm trying to figure out what my grandmother may have had and what it's worth.  Two pieces.  One is a 18 inch vase with a very narrow neck (about 9 inches) and an off-center bulbuous base.  The second is a pitcher, with a delicate blue handle, about 14 inches tall -- very narrow at the top and about 4.5 inches across at the base.  Both are a soft milky blue (opaline??).  I know that my grandmother got them in the 1950s (maybe 1961 or 1962 at the latest).  She always dislplayed them as a pair.  Neither has a mark on the bottom.  One has a very small red (gold-accented) tag that says "Made in Italy".  Both are in absolutely mint condition -- no chips, no whirls on the color, etc.

Are these Empoli???  I don't know much about this, so any thoughts would be much appreciated!  Also, any idea if these have real value or just kitsch??  THANKS.
Ross

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
Re: Help me with my Grandmother's Blue Opaline Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:16:13 AM »
need pictures to help you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline essextiger22

• Members
    • mid century glass
    • Washington, DC, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:01:18 AM »
Thanks so much for replying.  I am trying to attach photos, but the max size the site accepts is 125 kb and my cheapo camera phone's pics are all about 750 kb (which seems small to me for a pic).  Any ideas??  I am trying!!  THANKS.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
You need to resize the photos (my apologies for stating the obvious!), there are lots of resizing sites available online, type something like 'photo resizing' into google for a list. When you resize, make the longest side of your photos about 700 pixels and all should be fine.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
The irfanview re-sizing free download is adequate for most purposes you might need here....................   http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm    ........   and as John says if you make the first dimension 700 then up-loading to the Board should be a problem.
Looking forward to seeing your pix, and welcome to the GMB by the way. :)
As you are saying Italy and also taking into account your description, it's just possible your glass might be described as opalescent.     If you look at a strong light source - through the glass - you might see a slight reddish/orange glow.          I could be very wrong, but just a suggestion.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »
or rather ...........shouldn't be a problem ;)          a typo - apologies.

Offline essextiger22

• Members
    • mid century glass
    • Washington, DC, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
You Guys are great!!  Thanks!  I am not a proficient computer/tech person so your suggestions are so helpful.  (John, not at all obvious to me, so trouble-shooting for an extreme novice is just what I need!)  And very funny on the typo  :D

Here are pics.  Oh, I looked through the glass and didn't see any reddish-orange . . . .

THANKS.  Ross

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 05:58:17 PM »
Very Empoli. The material is what in italian is called opalina - milk glass cased in a light transparent colour - to emulate true opaline which is a solid colour. Timewise think sixties or seventies.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »
It does look very similar to the one I asked about Ivo. I have not found anything else.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=50849.0;attach=120435;image

Essextiger22.... the lip of the tall one is the same finish I think. Is the red mark on the vase or camera ? having re read the thread I see the red mark is the made in Italy label.
Pete. :-)

Offline essextiger22

• Members
    • mid century glass
    • Washington, DC, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
THANKS everyone for your helpful comments!  I also had someone from vmglasshouse say that it was Empoli.  They thought the vase had value but not so much the pitcher.  Do any of you have a rough sense of value of either piece??  Thank you very much.
Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand