No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old amethyst glass salts???gilded decoration...  (Read 1180 times)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
Old amethyst glass salts???gilded decoration...
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
I recently purchased from auction a set of four of these i feel they are salts as they are small and handmade with sharp pontil scar's and slightly wonky on the ground. They have gilded rim and foot and measure 6cmtall 7cm wide.
They are deep amethyst colour sadly ive only seen referance to this or a similar shape as being a salt in one of my millars books wondered if anybody could confirm its a salt and ideas of date please?Thankyou

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Old amethyst glass salts???gilded decoration...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
hello        Just as a matter of interest, will you please give the Miller's book and page ref. for the similar items you've seen. :)
You say these are wonky and don't sit level............are they sitting on the outer rim of the foot, or are they attempting to sit on the central area?
As you probably know, genuine C18 (and occasional early C19) pieces retained their snapped pontil scars, and any wobble or scratching of table surfaces etc., is avoided because the base of the item was created with some degree of 'kick' - i.e. the pontil area was indented to avoid surface contact when standing.
Would also be interested to know what degree of wear (if any) there is, and if it's possible to see any dirt ingrained around the pontil scar.               How did the auction house describe these? :)       

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
Hi Paul, Thanks for replying my millars is at my girlfriends house will add a referance to the book page etc tonight!
The following pictures i hope might be helpfull, They do seem to sit on the edge opposed to the middle in general but one does seem to sit more on a portion of the centre of base than the others and has wear their. The guilding is worn in places on two more than the other two and there seems to be a fair amount of dust in the area where the foot joins bowl. From my recollection the millars quoted a very similar piece as a salt same size and colour but un-guilded different foot shape though and had it down as 1840c hope following help

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »
As you maybe able to see there is dirt between bowl and foot area on them im struggling to get a good base picture but will crack it asap the auction described them as victorian drinking glasses??? Ive only seen the one picture of a similar piece in my 20 or so books!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
salts come in many guises - although don't recall having seen an amethyst example with gilding - but no reason why they couldn't be used as such.           Don't usually find this many salts remaining together - more usual to find them as singles or pairs.
Gilding on rims, feet and bodies is a decorative feature of the early C19  -  finger bowls, liquid condiment bottles and decanters are quite common examples.
Had these been of an early C20 manufacture, might they have been liqueur glasses perhaps, or for some specific cultural use.     Can't quite see - are these rims ground flat, or fire polished (slightly rounded)?......         believe ground rims are more likely to be non-British.
Sorry this is no help, but if pushed I'd suggest Continental, although date is eluding me really, but C19 (somewhere) is probably correct. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
has occured to me that they might possibly be a form of jelly or custard glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
I think they're too small for that Paul but I can't decides between salts and glasses

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
im wondering if id be ok to reproduce the picture here out of the millars catalogue or does that have copyright issues?
wont pick book up till later tonight!
thanks for reply's

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »
No, you can't post a picture from the book, as it will be copyright.

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
Fine got my millars book its millars glass by jeanette hayhurst consultant on page 208. As ive said isnt exactly same but same sort of size shape etc...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand