No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Paperweight - detailed character canes visible from bottom  (Read 1497 times)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Here is another recent acquisition.  At first glance, I thought this might be a 1960s Murano scramble.  The weight is a scramble with smudged canes placed over a frit ground.  When viewed from the bottom, there is a void in the frit where the pontil has been ground off.  When I look through the void I can see character canes that are unfamiliar.  There are at least six well defined mystery canes.  I was able to capture pictures of four of them, the others are just as interesting.  I will be grateful for any insight the Glass Message Board members can provide on this paperweight.

The paperweight is 2 3/4" diameter by 1 7/8" high.

Large Picture  

Bottom view with one character cane showing 

First character cane 

Second character cane

Third character cane

Fourth character cane

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Mystery Paperweight - detailed character canes visible from bottom
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
I think they are all simply distortions of the colours of basic cog / pastry / ruffle type canes. The one that looks as though it could be a "propeller" cane has retained much of its original structure, which I see as just four dark rods grouped as "three around a central one".
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:39:39 PM »
Thanks Kev,

I don't think this is an example of distorted canes.  Viewed from the bottom, the canes are all distinctive and grouped together.  I will try to get better pictures. 

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
Thought I would give this another nudge to see if anyone has an alternate theory.  I don't believe these are all distorted canes.  I couldn't get a better picture but there are at least six of these mystery canes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand