No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help with classical style vase please  (Read 27468 times)

bfg

Re: ID help with classical style vase please
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
m, thank you so much there is such a lot of info here I am reading and re-reading to take it all in :) will come back in a while to comment further

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

bfg

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »
Hi m,

thanks again for taking the time to send such a comprehensive and useful reply

I'm sure I can see pencil lines on the outside of the lady in places where the enamels have worn away so fits in nicely with the

Thomas Webb >>Battam and Sons >> Mr Giller chain of production.

I've spent time searching for other  examples on the net today and can still find nothing of a similar shape or design which makes the info you provided doubly useful

thanks again

Mel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »
you're welcome.  I think you'll struggle to find another of this version.  CH British Glass only has the reprints of the Art-Union magazine for these vases, no real life one.
There is another group there by another maker called Davis, Greathead and Green who operated Dial Glasshouse in Amblecote.  The plate shown 106 is of three of their vases from the 1851 exhibition (black and white plate), which were illustrated in the official catalogue.   According to the book, in 1991 a pair of vases (shown in real life as a photo) which match the illustrated ones from DGG (well one matches exactly the other is a different design), 'were discovered at a Midlands antique fair which match the shape and decoration...'

I think these are all rare pieces to be honest.  They are 150yrs old plus.  I've found one other which is a superb blue opaline.  I'm contemplating whether or not to at the moment :) but it's expensive.  I think it's probably Bohemian possibly Harrach as well.   I think there are 9 shown in the book from various makers 2 of DGG, 1 marked M W & Co (the book says 'probably Molineax Webb) 2 which I think are Harrach, 1 Bacchus and 2 I think from Richardson and 1 unknown.  That's not very many.  The rest are pictorial rather than real life objects.
Then there is the pair Brian has (Harrach) and Keith's.  So altogether, considering this was such an 'in vogue' design and considering there are at least 6 makers discussed here plus one unknown, the total is still only 12. 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 12:43:41 AM »
Daniel has this one as Webb Etruscan and it does have similarities in shape with one in the book and the Art-Union magazine, but I think the lady's clothing and her hair remind me a lot of the Davis, Greathead and Green vases I mentioned. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/6167707196/in/set-72157627592071579/
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
These are seriously expensive
From Sotheby's
a pair of Russian Opaline glass vases c.1835 with classical enamelled figures - est - $150,000-$200,000
from the Imperial Glass Manufactury

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2007/russian-art-n08302/lot.90.lotnum.html
m

bfg

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »
lol, yes m, I saw both Dan's and the Sotherby's examples in my hunting around yesterday.

Think the Russian ones are in a league of their own ;D

.......if only :(  ..........anyone want to buy a battered old b/w vase that may or may not be English or Bohemian (just kidding)

Mel

p.s on the plus side my Reynolds book arrived today ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
it is English Mel.  I'm sure yours is Webbs Etruscan.

m

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
... I like this piece, and if any help at all, I shall try to locate several pics of examples that I once had...
ALL of which were firmly attributed to have being produced in USSR early to mid-c20th...

However, each of mine had a very distinct number & mark that was located about 2" inside of their neck...
I overlooked this, but they are very evident once you find them. These marks are also found upon some decanters.
I used my finger to feel for the marks (rather than to look for them)
and then by holding the piece sideways, they are then able to be read.

I am not suggesting that YOUR piece is Russian, but mine were, and the neck marks would be worth looking for,
as they are also highly desirable items, some of which are gilded, with "European Classical" designs, which is quite scarce for Russian items of the period...

They each seem to have been produced in white only, plus of course their coloured decorative features...
and all have a ground & polished pontil, and are heavy for their size.

John 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »
Mel, I'm not sure I'm allowed to put this here,  but since I own the original pages and they are from a magazine 150 years old presumably I'm ok to do so?
There are 8 pieces featured in the article and CH has put the article in the book.  I've picked the vase that has most design features in common with yours.  The photograph is of my pages from the magazine, not the CH book (but obviously the same as reproduced in the book).
Sorry the page was slightly creased so it makes their engraving of the foot of the vase look wonky :) it's not, just I couldn't get my page to straighten out.
The other information I've given you above comes from this same article about these pieces.
m

Mod: M, image should be fine as it's probably well out of copyright

bfg

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »
m, thanks for posting that.

I can see the similarities you speak of

And thats' the Webb blank painted by Mr Giller? (getting confused)

Mel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand