No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Platinum Crystal Goblet - I.D Request  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Platinum Crystal Goblet - I.D Request
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:37:17 AM »
Hi,  I am trying to find information about this solid single disc stem crystal goblet.  My main interest is how the platinum  and glass trailed pattern design have been applied during the making.  There are slight variation within the platinum pattern around the perimeter rim area of the glass.  Due to the different variations and designs during my research,  I am finding it difficult to place this to any one manufacturer.  Could this goblet be a one-off, as a commemorative piece or does this goblet come as a set and can be used for drinking out of? Too be honest, I have not a clue, as this is the first one I have ever owned.  The overall height is  17.2cm, base dia. 5.7cm .  The base is concaved, descending in two curved steps as it meets the pontil area.  The polished convex pontil measures 1.7cm dia.  Any help is appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Platinum Crystal Goblet - I.D Request
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:43:45 AM »
My guess is that it is NOT a one-off.   Replacements (.com in the US) has a couple similar but not the same that are attributed as 'Murano Crystal', which is kinda of generic I think.   They probably didn't have a specific maker to attribute it to.  If not Murano, I'd stay looking within Venician/Italian at any rate just by the style.   I would driink out of it - make it a bit of a special glass for whatever you think fits it.

As far as the design.   I have a hard time judging what's a ridge and valley in some pics.  Anyway, it looks like needle etching.

The needle etching process first dips the stemware to be etched in wax. The wax-coated glass was then taken to the needle machine...or it could be done by hand.  The glass was slowly rotated while the machine’s (or artist) needles traced the pattern into the wax.  Once the pattern was inscribed in the wax, the glass is immersed in a hydrofluoric acid bath. The exposed glass (from the needle lines) is eaten away by the acid, transferring the design etched in the wax to the glass.

Looks like the platinum plating was applied after etching but I'm not quite sure I understand how they got the clear bits around the etching.

I'm not expert so this is primarily speculation.  Good luck with your hunt. 
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Platinum Crystal Goblet - I.D Request
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:41:52 AM »
Your info. has been very helpful, as I am now aware of the different methods in etching glass.   I have not heard of needle etching before.  The platinum plating is another question though  ::).   Currently I am looking at the different methods involved in plating  glass.

If this goblet/wine glass is part of a set, I will definitely be keeping my eyes open, as I think they would not only be used, but look very decorative on a memorable occasions.  Apparently, your the second person that has mentioned that they maybe venetian, so that will certainly assist me with my research.    A considerable amount of effort has been made to make this goblet and it just annoys me when they don't signature/mark it.  Thank you ever so much for your time and info. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand