Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Rare? matt Davidson blue cloud bowl,rare block with rd no on?1885 epergne Rd no

<< < (2/6) > >>

Lustrousstone:
It's a standard 6-in. 283 with  No. 3 flower block. The Stewarts say on the website
--- Quote ---On the base of the frog can be found the size, the words 'Made in England' and the phrase 'Patent 7830/1910' all in raised letters.
--- End quote ---

The Blue Cloud is a standard colour, though as David says all matte is less common. Blue Cloud was made from 1925 to 1934

David E:
Yes, blue cloud is a standard colour, but it is less common than amber, purple or green hence quite collectable.

New camera? You need a Panasonic Lumix  ;D

flying free:
I can't find this shape though? or one like mine that just has one row of large holes with a central hole.  It doesn't look like any of the blocks in the pictures  ???
There is a small one here in the link and it's not the same shape as mine. 
http://www.cloudglass.com/Frogs.htm

But if it is some form of the 3 it must be the 3H as:
Source Cloudglass site -quote
'Davidson also made the dome in two styles, Pattern no 3H which had the holes pierced through the base and no 3 which was not pierced.
Mine has the holes pierced through the base.
No new camera needed :) but need to keep the batteries charged properly.
m

Lustrousstone:
There may have been hole variations; the patent is only the method of manufacture. The basic shape is standard though.

flying free:
ok, thanks I'll keep looking for a match to the shape.
But I have a query over it as I've not found another in that shape so far.  And now I am wondering if the epergne holder is a marriage or not.

The marks are very worn on it.  However the lion outline shape of the cartouche matches marks for 1916-1933. 
The mark next to it is completely worn off but the cartouche outline shape is there and that may have been for the date letter which  matches the shapes used for 1896-1933 London it seems. Need to check other cities.
So it is possible the 'pat applied for' no was first registered in 1885, however this actual piece may date to a period from 1916-1933 i.e. possibly during the time the bowl was made but they still put on the patent no app for mark.

Rather unfortunately the makers mark has the first letter worn almost completely away although the second letter E and the Ltd mark are still there very clearly.  I'll do some digging and come back if I find a maker :)

Edited to add later:  The second cartouche shape could be either the date letter for London 1916-1933 or the cartouche for the leopard mark for London which was for the same period.
The shape of it does not match date marks for any other city dates for 1885 or for any other period that would match post 1885 as far as I can see.
Presumably one or other of the marks has worn away as there should be a lion mark, a city mark and a date mark as well as the makers mark.  Or it's an import made to look like a silver mark.  I can't find the makers mark at the moment.
Thanks for all your help both :)
m

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version