No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Moser vase??  (Read 2539 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Possible Moser vase??
« on: January 17, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

I cannot find an exact match for this striking piece. It is about 8 inches in height. The colour is smoke with a hint of amethyst, perhaps a slight dichrioc quality, I am hopeful it may be a circa 1900 Hoffman design. Can anyone confirm this please?

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Possible Moser vase??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
  I'm afraid it's not in my collecting arena and I don't know anything about this type of glass but just wanted to say how beautiful your vase is - true class.
m

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:44:45 AM »
Thanks M, I like it too, hopefully the Moser website will provide me with an answer in due course, re. designer.....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

Moser say this vase is not theirs, colour and shape not recognised. generally, their view is pretty reliable. The fact it is unsigned worried them too. Having these three elements combine means I am looking towards less famous Bohemian factories as discussed here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38358.msg211582.html#msg211582

I have to say the quality of my vase is exceptional in terms of the design and cutting and bar the odd air bubble, the glass too has really excellent optical qualities. Moser went on to say Zeleny Brod but rather than the famous factory label of the same name, I am inclined to think the Zeleny Brod region may be more appropriate........ still Bohemain but not Moser it seems. Evidently there is a lot more research for us to do on the "lesser" factories of the region!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
I'm out a limb here as I have absolutely no idea about this sort of vase, but did Val St Lambert ever do anything like this?
Just wondering if it might have originated somewhere other than Czechoslovakia?
m

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
I can see why Val St Lambert may be an idea M. However, I myself know little of their output other than their more colourful cut vases and have the feeling that much was signed. It has taken me a while to return to this thread as I have been temporarily (happily) lost in http://www.glas-musterbuch.de which has a vast array of catalogues, from some producers who I had little idea existed!! What a great site, largely thanks I think to GMB member Pamela and her fellow collectors. There are factories and refineries, finishing/ decorating businesses now gone, many of whom produced amazing glass. One of these may be responsible. Very similar cutting to this vase appears in one glassexport catalogue, referred to as containing the produce of glassworks from Novy Bor. http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Glassexport-Novy-Bor-195.154.0.html at the very bottom of the page there are some quite similar cuts, but not exactly the same. I imagine many glassworks in the region contributed whatever they could make to the catalogue.... Very interesting reading though! A labelled example may surface one day......

If I am not on GMB for a while, I may just be lost on glas-musterbuch.de looking for patterns!

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand