No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Krosno glass?  (Read 10327 times)

Offline Retro Mojo UK

• Members
  • Been around a bit but always learning!
    • Scandinavian, English, Italian
    • UK
    • Retro Mojo
Krosno glass?
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know the age and maker of this vase?

It's acid etched Krosno to the base but I don't know if this is the Krosno glassworks in Poland or just made in Krosno? I haven't found an example that matches this and more recent pieces seem to be labelled.

It is a very good weight and seems to be good quality with a lovely blue tinge similar to Strombergshyttan,

Thanks all
Retro, Vintage, Antique and Collectable!

www.retromojo.co.uk
Twitter: @RetroMojoUK
Facebook.com/RetroMojoUK

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Krosno glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:58:05 PM »
It is recent and made by and in Krosno. What more could you want?

Offline Retro Mojo UK

• Members
    • UK
    • Retro Mojo
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:57:50 PM »
Hi Ivo,

thanks for the helpful comment.

I've found evidence of a number of glassworks in Krosno it was a simple question that I didn't know the answer to.

My question with regards to the age was something I didn't have an answer for so 'what more could you want' sounds a little rude to me. Maybe it's just the way i'm reading it, in which case I apologise if I'm wrong. My intention in using this site is to learn and expand my knowledge but I can't help but feel a few of the replies i've received from the site's busier posters have made me out to be a bit stupid. Were we all not beginners in the field at one point?

I've seen this brand on sites from vintage to collectable to ebay all stating vintage, these people have more experience than me as i'd never heard of Krosno glass until today so surely either they have some grounds for calling it vintage or that's just what they call 'recent' items?

www.retromojo.co.uk
Facebook.com/RetroMojoUK

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »
Krosno is the largest of Polish glass manufacturers. In fact, they' re HUGE. Their produce is characterised by being heavy and well made.  You gave the answer in your question which is good. And recent is any time in the last 20 years or so. That may be vintage to some people....

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
The etched 'Krosno' on the base of the vase is interesting -- It's the first time I've seen that, so I suspect your vase is of more recent production.  I love Krosno glass.  It's classy, well made, and most importantly, perfectly usable.

Sadly, Krosno glassworks is in bankruptcy (something I really cannot comprehend):   http://www.krosno.com.pl/en/about_us/history/

Anik

Offline Retro Mojo UK

• Members
    • UK
    • Retro Mojo
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
Many thanks Anik, useful information :-)

www.retromojo.co.uk
Facebook.com/RetroMojoUK

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
I have had and bought a lot of Krosno glass over the years and have never seen an acid etched piece, they have always had a transparent label on them.

Also the pieces I have had and either given as gifts or sold, were very fine thin glass with extremely complicated stems and bases with lovely swirls on them in colours streched from the glass used in the stem.  It was mostly Jozefina glass, and had I seen your piece and it hadn't got the acid etched name Krosno on it,  I would have assumed an Orrefors or similar Scandinavian company.
You are right, Retro Mojo,  we are here to help and share knowledge and I have learned two things today, one that Krosno make thicker acid etched glass, and two, sadly, that the company has gone into Bankruptcy... Anik,  I no idea and am very upset to hear that and will visit the site you have kindly given to learn more about why.
Rosie.

Added:  Just for interests sake, this is the sort of glass I associate with Krosno Glass: http://www.etsy.com/listing/107049893/art-glass-oil-candle-by-jozefina-krosno?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=krosno+glass&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=krosno+glass
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Retro Mojo UK

• Members
    • UK
    • Retro Mojo
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
Hi Rosie,

Many thanks for your knowledge on the subject, it's greatly appreciated :-)

It was the acid etched mark that led me to think it was a little older say 70s, early 80s as all the newer pieces I've seen have just had a label,

Have a great weekend

www.retromojo.co.uk
Facebook.com/RetroMojoUK

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
Jozefina is in Krosno but it isn't part of Krosno SA; it's a newish small independent http://www.jozefina.pl/english.html
As is Makora. Both trade on their brands and arty style, whereas Krosno has perhaps been better known for volume hand and machine made production for sale unbranded, as in M&S, or branded through retail groups where the label matters less than the design and the retailer itself is known for the quality of products supplied.

The etched mark is more likely to be sand blasted than acid etched, acid being mostly outlawed for H&S reasons.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
Hi Christine,  Just a bit of further news,  the lovely Jozefina Krosno site is not working properly and keeps saying 'not found' when you try to click on the product page.

This is the link I usually use to look at all their beautiful glass:

http://www.jozefina.pl/offer.html

So I wonder what has happened to them??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand