No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A bit of showing off  (Read 8009 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: A bit of showing off
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »
... and I still think the group looks better as four glasses, not five  ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »
ooh they are beautiful - so classy.   I can imagine the Christmas splosh tasted fab :)
m

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »
what  fantastic score. I'd have been SO afraid of drinking out of them.  :o LOL

CONGRATS!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »
so would I  -  they'd go straight into the cabinet, for looking at only!!           Assume you've seen the pieces in the Truitt's book, and how about the vase in R. S. Williams-Thomas book - you could die for that.            The Truitt's appear to be saying that Alexandrite was a British product only, and came from Thomas Webb and S & W only, although admitting that whilst it could have been produced in the States, they didn't seem to be aware of any pieces from their side of the pond.
However, Williams-Thomas seems confident in saying that there were  "several other producers in England (apart than themselves), the Continet and the States".         
Do we think he might have been confusing this rarer product, which is charactierized by three colours,  with the far more common Amberina which consists of only two, and which doesn't have the terminal blue shading of the Alexandrite??
I guess it wouldn't be impossible to confuse the two.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
Not after you've seen them in vitro!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
thought that was something to do with IVF :-\ ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
In vitro means, quite literally, "in glass", so IVF means "in glass fertilisation".
(Immoral waste of taxpayers' money, when there are so many older kids desperate for adoption, but a vote-catcher.  >:( )

"In vitro" is an expression commonly used in science to denote that a particular experiment was carried out in test tubes, rather than "in vivo" which denotes being carried out in life - in a living system.

it just seems natural to use "in vitro" to denote an experience with the glass itself.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:14 PM »
Stevens and Williams is a totally different technique involving different coloured melts of glass and was undoubtedly not unique. The Webb Alexandrite is just one melt of uranium based glass containing ingredients such that successive reheating causes a change from pink then to blue. Some of the Webb items don't even have the blue.

Which Truitt book and which page please?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
apologies Christine :-[  -  (sometimes I take so many books off the shelves in one day, but knew it was something from the States) - it is in fact the Grover's book 'Art Glass Nouveau' - page 182, although expect you've seen it already.     Unfortunately, background colours in some of the plates don't do the quality of the pix any favours.

Sue, thanks...........so, is this the Latin root from which the C19 factories gave us the word vitrified?   .........      and vivo, I think, is found, adapted slightly, to give us the word viviparous for those creatures having the ability to give birth to fully formed young........as in some reptiles (as opposed to eggs).

I'd like to hold one, but still cannot bring myself to use them for booze. ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
I haven't got that one, just their cameo glass one

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum