No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French Opaque Atomizer?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
French Opaque Atomizer?
« on: January 19, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »
Picked this up & lady I know who is a perfume collector believed she had seen this in a perfume book as a French opaque with late Deco enameling. Its not U.S. & I am not asking for a specific ID, simply if its possibly a French opaque from  the Deco period. No markings on the hardware. Reacts strongly to blacklight. Thanks, Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: French Opaque Atomizer?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:13 AM »
No idea really,just that the roses look like Macintosh design,Glasgow school I think,interesting piece ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:45:50 AM »
 mackintosh roses (not deco) Mackintosh roses were 1900-1915 in the glasgow style but they were used in Bohemia as well. This piece is probably bohemian. sometime before WW2. I can't say when.

but the decoration looks kind of sloppy. Lots of messy lines. enamel outside the outline..  this isn't professionally enamelled. this is isn't even quite cottage ware quality. I think someone did this afterwards at home. the glass is custard glass. it will undoubtedly glow quite brightly under blacklight.

So IMHO, It may or may not be from the deco era. I doubt french and not professionally enameled.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
I agree with Azelismia... I think,
 but I don't know about the quality of the  enamelling because your pictures are not clear enough to see the enamelling properly.  It would help if you just put one photo per upload please, otherwise all that can be seen is an impression of the piece, no detail on the base of the piece or of the enamelling at all.
Your pics can be up to 125KB
many thanks   :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies, appreciate the info. Actually the lady I spoke with used the same term for the quality of the enameling that azelismia used..."cottage" & when I asked her what she meant she informed me that I would probably be suprised at the number of poorly trained (if at all) pre-teen girls that were loosely employed for decorating purposes which resulted in sloppy workmanship & I would agree the enameling is amateurish in nature. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand