No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an older Murano weight or a spurious date cane?  (Read 973 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Is this an older Murano weight or a spurious date cane?
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »
Having listed a thread recently on dating Murano paperweights and that I had not knowingly seen any Murano items apart from one that I would have said dated from the 1845 - 1950's period I have in the last week picked up 2 that I wonder about.

This is the first, my initial thought was that this is a spurious date made at a much later period, it is unusual though in having a slightly concave base with an unground pontil mark, or is this all part of the deception to go along witht he weight?

It is 45mm diameter and 32mm tall.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Is this an older Murano weight or a spurious date cane?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »

Hi Nick.

I am sure you are correct - your weight has a spurious date that is 'commemorative' of something. The canes are 1950s-1960s style. I have seen images of some Murano weights from the 1930s, and the canes are simpler than the ones in your weight, and are large, and set on a spatter base. I think the concave polished bases are a sign of weights from 1930 to 1950 or thereabouts - the flat polished bases came later.

I do not know of any hard evidence for the design of Murano weights in the period 1845 - 1930 (or even of their existence) other than the Bigaglia weights from the 1845 -1850 period. There are various scramble designs, some of which may be late 1800s, but that is speculation - I believe some of them are actually pre 1845. If anyone has good evidence of the use of - and style of - millefiori canes from Murano in the 1850 - 1930 period that would be a real advance in making firm attributions.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Is this an older Murano weight or a spurious date cane?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:24 PM »
Thanks again,
50's-60's is older than I suspected it might be.

Regards
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand