No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Whitefriars) sage or willow  (Read 1803 times)

Offline shakes

• Members
(Whitefriars) sage or willow
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
Hello all,  i was wondering if anyone could take a look at Ebay item no. 251216745231
the item is listed as Rare Green, which if it is Sage then it would command a premium, however i am thinking its Willow with the light behind.
the seller has posted other questions, but not my enquiry.
sorry for being a bit dubious.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: sage or willow
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
I would ask for more photos against a white background without that coloured cloth or back lighting

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
I would agree with the above as it is impossible to tell which colourway it actually is from the supplied picture.

I think you may be right on it being willow, I can see no reason for lighting a sage vase in that way.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »
It will be Willow, Hooped vases were never produced in Sage. Hooped vases were last produced in 1973, Sage was introduced in 1974 with the new designs for the later textured range.

James

Offline shakes

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
thanks for your input, i did realise about the dates, there not much in it and it is listed as rare.
i do think its willow, i have tried a few willow pieces today including a hoop but cannot get them as light...maybe a camera flash...!
thanks again Graham

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: (Whitefriars) sage or willow
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
Photographing in daylight is far better than using a flash. Also, use a white cloth, white paper (back of a large poster, etc.) as a backdrop. The pale yellow colouration in the eBay listing is almost certainly due to the lighting used and that will affect the true colour of the piece.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Willow is probably the most difficult of the W/Fs colours it seem to pick up colour reflections from all arouind it,  i have been with ex W/Fs workers who have changed their minds many times whilst handling a piece . :-\

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
If so, JP, then the better way to photo the glass is in a white light tent and [perhaps] using backlighting, with no side or front light at all. The white balance of the camera also needs setting, although you can use an image processing program afterwards (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Irfanview, et al) to adjust the colour balance.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
Cheers David but it was usually when out at fairs or auction houses and it seemed everywhere you took the piece the colour would look different . In the house it would pick up the predominant colour in the particular room , light tent Nahhh dont have one ,YET

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand