No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flat back Bark vase / solifleur  (Read 1601 times)

Offline chris.cooper

• Members
Flat back Bark vase / solifleur
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
Bought this as a "rare Whitefriars Flat back Bark vase" Stands 7" high and weighs over a KG. Is it a bargain or did they see me coming?
Really need some help with this one. I bought it recently and the seller totally convinced me it was Whitefriars, she even said it had been appraised by a leading North Yorkshire auction house as a Whitefriars Flat-back Bark Vase - Value £80 - £120.

Looking at the vase, it is really convincing. Put it next to a Flint medium bark vase and the quality and texture is crisp and sharp. The base even has grain-like contours exactly like the Bark vase. Any ideas anybody?
Thanks, Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Whitefriars Flat back Bark vase?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 01:37:51 PM »
Looks more like one of the many varying styles of solifleur vase that Walther Glas churned out during the 1970's, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Whitefriars Flat back Bark vase?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 01:40:19 PM »
Hi Chris,

A very nice solifleur. I don't know who made it, but I am pretty sure that it is not Whitefriars.
Hopefully someone here can be more specific.
It has some qualities of my Walther solifleurs.
Sorry that I can't be of more help.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:50:25 PM »
A leading North Yorkshire auction house ( don't know if it's the same one though) has been responsible for many a mistake regarding "Whitefriars" pieces!! I've come up against this before.

When I saw it up on the Whitefriars .com site, I thought solifleur, as well, but most definitely not Whitefriars.

I like it a lot, and no idea how much it may be worth as a solifleur vase, although I've seen the odd one on e-bay making quite a bit.

Chris if you are trying to collect Whitefriars, then my best advice is to scour the catalogues on the .com site time and time again until you get a confident feel about Whitefriars shapes. It is a brilliant facility of the site worth its weight in gold, and will help prevent expensive buying mistakes!!

Emmi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand