No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy pink pressed bowl - ID = Davidson 718 pattern  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Heavy pink pressed bowl - ID = Davidson 718 pattern
« on: April 16, 2006, 03:21:35 PM »
Any thoughts on this bought during this morning's womble would be much appreciated

Heavy pink bowl - four feet - fan/diamond pattern panels.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc238.jpg

Many thanks 8)
Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Two old pressed glass bowls
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 03:35:50 PM »
Quote from: "Anne E.B."
... Heavy pink bowl - four feet - fan/diamond pattern panels. ...

Anne — Davidson 718.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Two old pressed glass bowls
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »
Many thanks Bernard 8)   I should have checked my copy of "Davidson Glass a History" but just didn't make the connection :oops:  :roll:

One down, one to go! :lol:

p.s. have a great time at the Woking Fair 8)
Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 04:37:54 PM »
Anne — thanks for the good wishes.

Davidson 718 is a strange combination of a Victorian style bowl on Chippendale feet, and was very successful.    Watch out for the unusual flared version, 718FY.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »
Hi Anne,

It is in Pamela's museum... in a peachy colour, Pamela's is, like mine, flared out not in like yours, but still the same pattern:

Pamela's: http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/01922.html
Mine (green):    http://www.yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-245

Nice aren't they? :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 08:19:50 PM »
Anne, Anne and Bernard,
thank you - you managed to trace another 'mistake' on my site  :roll:
which will be corrected soonest:
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/01922.html
if you click on the thumbnail of the shiny one you get the old 01007.html of it formerly believed to be Brockwitz.... pooh

I've got both in fact, the shiny 718 and the matt 718FY

I love them!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 09:06:58 PM »
Anne E.B., yes it was Anne yobunny who told me that mine is Davidson instead of Brockwitz - that was on 21st of August last year, shortly after I had joined this lovely gang  :D But I forgot to correct the link of the small thumbprint also - that was the mistake I meant  :)

Great if we see some more pictures of the green one

pity, you're lost without your glasses - but be happy with all your own teeth  :P

I'm lost without my glasses too, but I always buy very cheap ones - one for the car, one for the bag, one for the museum and one for my nose  8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 09:33:48 PM »
Giving full credit where it is due: I only knew because Chris Stewart identified mine for me some while ago, so Chris is the man to thank. 8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 09:48:06 PM »
Lovely to extend my thanks:
Bernard, Chris and Anne!
Pamela

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:04:40 AM »
... I should have checked my copy of "Davidson Glass a History" but just didn't make the connection ...

Anne — You may be interested to know that I identified the 718 bowl from my photocopies of old Davidson trade catalogues.   At the time I hadn't even looked in Stewart & Stewart, but, on checking it recently, found just one brief reference to the 718, and no information that would help identify it.   Stewart & Stewart does not claim to be a comprehensive guide to attribution, but it contains much that helps, some of which is not available elsewhere.

Accordingly I did not cite a reference, my usual practice when utilising material from secondary sources.   I do this so that others can follow the chain, and assess for themselves the reliability of my sources.   I do not expect instant unquestioning acceptance of my views, nor do I encourage it in any way.   That was the problem with glass attribution in the old days, when, as more secondary sources repeated the same view, it became more true.   It was like wading through treacle!

... p.s. have a great time at the Woking Fair ...

Thanks again for your good wishes.   It turned out to be a great fair, our best ever at Woking.   It got even better as we drove away.   The notice board at Woking's football ground still announced Saturday's match against Accrington Stanley, won 1–0 by Accrington, and, I believe, a key result for the team, who hope to rejoin the Football League after a rather prolonged absence.   Great times for Manchester football.   Isn't that fabulous!

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand