No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare? matt Davidson blue cloud bowl,rare block with rd no on?1885 epergne Rd no  (Read 4570 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Anne, no sorry I don't have the book.  But I knew I couldn't find the frog on the website though.   
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Natalie are the frogs you show in your link the no 3 that you refer to as being the same shape as mine please, as I don't think they are the same shape  :-\
that might be because they are a different size I suppose or just the angle of the shots, but they still look domed rather than having the drawn up centre to them?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Raising the issue of the frog again - the 3" 3H may be stated as standard production but I've done much searching and not only can I not find another 3" 3H flower frog but I cannot find any 3" flower frog, or a flower frog that is the same shape as mine...none are.
  Mine is triangular in shape.  Mine is triangular in shape because it has only one row of 8 stretched oval holes and one large central hole that is larger by comparison to the oval holes and certainly is larger than any I've looked at on other frogs.  However much I angle it to view it I cannot make it look anything like any of the photographs or represent a fat curved domed shape.  It doesn't.  The pictures below are the most 'fat curved domed' I can make it look and it's not like any of those that I can find.

I found this
http://www.bullworks.net/ffg/engpg/pgrod/pgrod.html
which shows a picture from the Davidson 1912 catalogue demonstrating their domed frogs which came in sizes  from 2 1/2" to 10".
The picture appears to show two 2 1/2" frogs as the small ones - I think
And I think Natalie's picture possibly shows those type of frogs.
There is no picture of a slightly larger one which would have been the 3" .

I think it is possible that my frog is not standard production. Is it possible it was actually made to contain these silver epergnes perhaps or, with the larger hole is it possible it was made to contain something that was peg-based, like a figurine of some sort or a cloud glass epergne flute that had a peg base?

I've attached more pictures of my frog for comparison :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've found one!
In this listing that's finished if you scroll down to the additional pictures below the listing, there is a display of a group of blocks.  One on the left hand side looks as though it is a 3" frog and has the large central hole and the 8 round it .
It gives a good view of the size of the central hole compared to other larger blocks as well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOWERBY-SMALL-YELLOW-GLASS-FLOWER-FROG-2-ART-DECO-/160676133071

It isn't matt and doesn't have an epergne in it though :)
m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
I feel sure the central epergne support was added on later. But take comfort that being matte it is uncommon.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 ;D thank you.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk