No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black base what's it for? - ID = Century Glass Works  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Black base what's it for?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »
images of the original factory drawing, plus the Register page, now attached, showing the maker as Century Glass Works, Edmonton, London - the style of which would suggest a maker rather than wholesaler/retailer only.     
In case the wording is unclear, the description for intended use reads  .............  "a base for supporting a vase, bowl, bedside lamp or the like."
It may well be that Claire's 'snow globe' is threaded, and has a central hole which fits over the projection in the centre of the base, in which case they will possibly have started life together.               The internal shape of the base requires something other than a fully circular design, and it's noticeable that the floor of the base carries some form of indent - for sealing perhaps?          Opinions welcome. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:19:08 AM »
Paul, that's fascinating to see the original design, thank you! And it's Century Glass Works too, one of the companies I'm hunting for more info about. I wonder how many more designs they registered after the date of the Blue Book's coverage? It is looking more and more like I am going to have make a trip back down to London and spend a week in the archives myself! 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
wish you every success if you do Anne.                  I'm sure you remember some of my earlier comments about the need for a Reader's Ticket in order to research the archives  -  unfortunately, without this you would be confined to the café area, and though pleasant as their Victoria Sponge is, it would be frustrating to be confined to a coffee and bun only, had you come a long way.          If you're serious about visiting Kew, do give them a call beforehand just to assess the situation, and documents needed for proof of id.  :)       

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 11:35:30 PM »
Thanks Paul I will. I did used to have a Readers' Ticket when I lived in London, before the NatArchives moved out to Kew, but it has long-since lapsed. I'm hoping I may be able to arrange something for later next year - it all depends on workload of course.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline claireym

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Black base what's it for? - ID = Century Glass Works
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
Hi the glass from the snowglobe was threaded and it was glass not plastic. It had a circular separate
Rubber piece and when put together it was absolutely watertight. The glass had lots of tiny air bubbles in it. My sister has it now. I bought it from EBay for for Xmas. Hope that helps any other question I’ll try to answer even though I don’t have it now👍🏻

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand