No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bill Swingewood  (Read 3421 times)

Offline SwingeyP

• Members
Bill Swingewood
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
Here is a picture of my Great Grandfather Bill Swingewood. I believe this photo was taken at the British Industries Fair.
I'm not sure who the other people in the picture are.

If anyone has any pictures of my Great Grandfather (Bill) or my Grandad (Henry) I would love to see them.

Regards - Paul

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Bill Swingewood
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »
Hello Paul and welcome to GMB.

A fascinating photograph, but it will be hard to identify anyone there. It would be interesting to learn how much of your gt-grandfather's collection still remains within the family! Any photos of these?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board :)
I don't recall any photographs being on the board but I did post a couple of pieces by William Swingewood a while ago.
I've sold them now to a collector of these but it's fascinating to see your photograph and thank you for posting it.
m

Offline SwingeyP

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
Hello.

There is little glas that remains in the family. Most of it sits in private collections which is such a shame.

Am I allowed to put a wanted ad on the forums for any of Bill (Great Granddad) or Henry (Grandad) glass?

I doubt I can afford to buy much as it seems to command high prices :-(

I do have a few pieces goblets, birds or paradise etc ..

Regads - Paul

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
Am I allowed to put a wanted ad on the forums for any of Bill (Great Granddad) or Henry (Grandad) glass?
Yes, no problem - I think anything glass-related can be listed there.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
Hi Paul, welcome to the board. Yes you can certainly put a wanted notice on the board - would you use of Market Place forum for it please, and put WANTED at the start of the topic subject line, so it will stand out amongst the for sale items. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline pricejb

• Members
    • Swingewood glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
I am researching the work of a Midlands writer called Archie Hill who mentions a brilliant lamp worker he calls 'Old Billy' who died in the late 1930's. This must be Billy Swingewood - but which one?

From the E&S (7-2-2014) I learn that in 2014 you, Paul, were 47 ( born 1967) and your father John was 74 born 1940.

Henry (John's father, Paul's grandfather) would have been born around 1915 (I think he would have been the gentleman in the photo in the E&S). John grandfather (Paul's great-grandfather) would have been born around 1890 and we know he was still around in the 1940's because he help raise John (per the E&S). I think he would be the young man at the British Industries Fair (probably 1920's).

So back to Hill's 'Old Billy'. I have found his on-line burial record at Amblecote Church and, yes,  someone named William Henry Swingewood, was buried 12 November 1939 aged 68 so was therefore born 1871. Does this mean there were three generations of William Henry Swingewoods?

Also I have thought more about this quote from the E&S: "John Swingewood, now aged 74, was looked after by grandparents Lily and Mr Swingewood senior, who was a renowned glass maker in the Black Country at the start of the 20th century."  This "Mr Swingewood Senior" would have been active rather later than the early years of the 20th Century. I estimated that he was born 1890 so he would not have become well known until perhaps 1925. Which again argues for that Old Billy was from the earlier generation.

If anyone wants to email me at jp AT john-price.me.uk I can send the extracts from Hill's book that mention Old Billy.

Mod: email address amended to prevent spam harvesting, change AT to @ and close up the spaces to make it usable

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Offline pricejb

• Members
    • Swingewood glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »
This was the photo that appeared in the E&S on 7 Feb 2014.

I think it might be Paul Swingewood's grandfather who he refers to as Henry (full name William Henry Swingewood) who I guess would have been born around 1915 so would have been around retirement age when Bridge Crystal Glass Co went out of business in 1982.

I am interested in earlier generations. I have seen reference to Bill Swingewood senior who I assume is this gentleman's father (born early 1890's most likely). There is a still older William Henry Swingewood (1871-1939) whom writer Archie Hill refers to as 'Old Billy' and calls 'the giant of glass'. I would like to know more about this character.

See       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZMNG-Ulksg&t=552s      [especially 5.18 - 6.38]

Offline pricejb

• Members
    • Swingewood glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
I now know what happened.

'Old Billy' from Hill's book was born 2 October 1893, died 18 July 1960. This is Paul Swingewood's great grandfather.

Old Billy's father, also called William Henry Swingewood, was not a lampworker he was a bricklayer. His dates were 1867-1939.

Hill's account of Old Billy's death in the 1930's is therefore incorrect. It is possible he conflated Old Billy's character with Old Billy's father's death to bring the story to a conclusion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand