No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: acid removal of heavy scratching on u. glass.  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: acid removal of heavy scratching on u. glass.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
I'm glad that something good came out of this discussion :)         Useful to know that micro-mesh has its uses in the war against glass discolouration or whatever.         Not really possibly to show an image of the magnitude of scratches on this Sunshine Amber piece - but can say that for a couple of inches at the bottom they really are horrendous  -   looks like someone has been cleaning it with sand!        The only way out would be to go down through the grits, starting with something like 600!
I'm more annoyed with myself more than anything, for not spotting the damage before buying, but I'm really keen on these deco style pieces and they have a massive glow, so am loathe to bin it  -  guess some silocone grease and a location at the back of the cabinet will help. ;)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
Paul, before you try anything else, it's worth mentioning that I had a badly water fogged old glass which defied all my attempts at removing the fogging, until I poured pineapple juice into it, and it magically lost all the fogging. It's a cheap option to try before anything else...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »
thanks Dame Anne  -  however, as I've explained earlier in this thread my problem is light years more extreme than 'fogging'  -  to the extent that a finger nail dragged across the affected area actually judders over the scratches. :'(         I really can't imagine how inept someone has been - when presumably cleaning the vase.       However, these pieces are so gorgeous that I'll close my eyes to the damage.
I have pineapple junks with my porridge on these cold mornings  -  do you think that has cleaned my insides ;)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
I dread to think what it does to your innards Paul! But it shocked me with the results on my glass, I can tell you. Having tried every other suggestion made on the board short of a physical repolisher...  I do know that soaking meat in pineapple juice causes it to become incredibly soft and tender, so perhaps your innards are being affected... !!! ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
.............I'm always soft and tender - with or without the pineapple ;)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 05:28:49 AM »
Pineapple juice?

I have a few likely candidates for this method. I will report back with my personal findings.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:50:10 AM »
It is the bromelin in pineapple juice that tenderises meat, but it is not found in canned pineapple/juice only fresh. So polishing effect may also differ from fresh to canned. Pineapple contains several acids as well as enzymes that it seems can affect things well stuck to glass.  Wonders of nature

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
quote................ "It is the bromelin in pineapple......"       -          so presumably that's why the whole group are called Bromeliads.         Just as a guess I'd have imagined that the citric acid might also have had some effect, but maybe not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand