No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Marbrie signed st claire i believe  (Read 4137 times)

Offline mildawg

• Members
Re: Marbie signed st claire i believe
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
Not a weight from the previously mentioned St. Clair's. not sure who.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
I have just received an email from an American collector confirming its a very desirable St Claire weight with a lot of information regarding St Claire

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
Please share the information confirming St. Clair.  It is not a St. Clair paperweight from Elwood, IN.  Not sure what other St. Clair it would be.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
The St Clair's were good personal friends of mine and I was in their shop frequently when they were operating and Joe Rice that keeps their tradition going and I are very good friends. I'm almost positive that they never made canes such as these and their was no St. Clair Glass in operation in 03. They also rarely ever signed anything in long hand. I had one signed by Joe St. Clair That I personally asked him to sign and it is nothing like this signature. They usually had a stamp that they impressed in the bottom of their weights. I doubt it is a Tom St. Clair either as I know him and his work quite well, but he may have made something like this but that doesn't look anything like his signature either.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »
Just a small part of the email from a collector in long  island USA who believes it may be right .........
Ed is using some colored canes which he secured from a retired glass craftsman of the Pittsburgh area
to make the star flower design which resembles the H Miller design of 1890 also mentioned is that their ruby flowers were made with gold and the color was one of the most difficult to make .
 Signatures were usually die stamped occasionally unsigned but yours looks like a possibly unique piece and only signed after it was seen fit
Most of their production was standard  flower or bubbles , They are known to have made 100 roses but stopped due to technical limitations so you have something that could be important if the attribution proves correct , i would say you have a winner there a really beautiful weight .
Fuhrman glass sorry i dont know your first name  can i ask do you have any names you can throw into the ring ? thanks for your input .

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
Several things in that note raise serious questions....one is speaking in the present tense and two they never stopped making roses because of technical issues and while I don't know how many were made, I am certain more than one hundred were made.  I think the weight could be by several other makers, just not St. Clair.

As I read the excerpt it sounds like something out of Jean Melvin's book......I'll have to look.

Looked, indeed those notes are from the book, the roses went on to be conquered.  The colored canes comment is exactly that, not millefiori canes, just colored canes.  Could we be looking at the signature all wrong??

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am no expert on American weights, but these canes on top of the marbrie look like those made by the Gentile family (many generation of glass makers). I had one of their millefiori weights for a while (but have sold it on) and the canes were very similar to these.

SophieB

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am no expert on American weights, but these canes on top of the marbrie look like those made by the Gentile family (many generation of glass makers). I had one of their millefiori weights for a while (but have sold it on) and the canes were very similar to these.

SophieB
I thought it looked a lot like some of Gentile's work as well. although I believe that John never made those canes, but purchased them from Italy. I had talked with him about that when I was there once in the 70's. Ed Or Paul St. Clair may have wandered into Gentiles at one time or another, but I doubt it would have been 03. They used to like to make some stuff at other people's shop from time to time.
The roses were made for a long time and Joe Rice still makes them as he taught me how to make them . Getting that red and white to work that well with each other for the marbrie is not an easy feat either as the red didn't seem to bleed much into the white and most of the white was a really "soft" glass.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »
I have now sorted out all the irrelevant text from this topic, added JP's pics to it and it can go back into paperweights as a discussion topic. Thank you for your patience whilst it was sorted.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand