No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another 'wedding' bell.  (Read 1147 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Another 'wedding' bell.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
Like that bell Ivo,thanks for the info' m, I should have said plaster of Paris and yes the handles are all fixed with paste,I mean plaster of Paris ::) ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »
I recall that somewhere back in one of the links from m, there was a statement that coloured glass had never been recorded from Nailsea - with Bristol (separate from Nailsea) and Stourbridge being the most likely Candidates.     Newcastle also seems to get a mention as a possible source.          Are there records of 'bells' originating from other countries in the earlier parts of the C19?
In the few books I have showing 'Nailsea type' bells, I'm unable to find a match with Ivo's example, so guess his is much the rarer  -  although the filigrana decoration and colours of pink, white and blue can be found in various glass articles from the earlier parts of the C19.
It's an interesting and attractive piece.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »
that's why I said
'Recent threads on Nailsea style and similar makers :)
but I'm not sure the 'no coloured glass from Nailsea' rule stands... I don't think it has definitely been concluded with evidence that there was no coloured glass from Nailsea .  Could be wrong though.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:23 AM »
The only book we have on bells describes this type as 'English' and leaves it at that,now where is that book ??? ??? ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand