Author Topic: Chance Psychedelic Vase  (Read 693 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Chance Psychedelic Vase
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »
Just delivered a Chance Psychedelic Handkerchief Vase - smaller size in orange - love it - I have a few other Handkerchief vases but this is my first psychedelic one - bit of mildew to inner surface not mentioned but it was cheap enough and looks great with my retro pieces.

Adam

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Chance Psychedelic Vase
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
Like these myself,what size is yours?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »
These patterns are always good buys as they are sought after. They both look to be the 4-in. variety - anything else is most unusual!
David
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
It is the 4" size

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
The funny thing here is that the orange one is scarcer than the black, although the black appears to be more collectable. The charts I produced for Chance Expressions (p.111) show that I observed 19 orange as opposed to 30 black vases sold on eBay over a 15-month period, yet the black vases always fetch a higher price. Not only that, the Escher pattern in any colour is actually scarcer than Psychedelic - "there's nowt as queer as folks"  ;D
David

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
The black is far more attractive than the orange, David. And the Esher pattern is... boring.
A scarce ugly thing is still just an ugly thing.  ;)
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
On a black background, the orange would look more impressive. Horses for courses. But don't diss the Escher!

But if you want to see something scarce and ugly, take a look at this:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51261.0.html

:)
David

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
As you can see, I already had!
I do agree - the orange would look better on a black background - and even better on a purple ground.
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »
funny, I always thought  'Esher'  was in Surrey ;)         I did once collect the Handkerchief vases, but don't remember ever finding a Psychedelic example - although black can be seen as a bit depressing I guess, and orange as more cheerful.        Perhaps it might help if you had some of the mushrooms whilst viewing ;D

Must admit I really can't see any purpose to the Diseased Milk Bottle design, and to me it does seem to lack anything that might appeal to the artistic senses - but guess art is all things to all men/wimmin  -  look how some people rave over Tracy's unmade bed or Jackson's dribbles.
Escher was in a different league to these Handkerchiefs  -  his stuff really was stunning.

Anyway, good piece of retro Adam, especially if not expensive  -  and cheerful colours. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
Jackson's "dribbles", when analysed mathematically via computer programmes turn out to be fractals, Paul.
They are not random dribbles, they are fabulous and sophisticated; they are "high" art.
Tracy Emin's bed is an exposure of the deepest and most shameful part of her soul - angst. It took courage to display that.
It is also, (in my not so humble opinion), "high" art. I think she's great and lovely.

Damian Hirst is just a p*ss artist though.  ;D
Cheers, Sue (M)

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand