No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Psychedelic Vase  (Read 2709 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Chance Psychedelic Vase
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
Escher was in a different league to these Handkerchiefs  -  his stuff really was stunning.
I couldn't agree more - I have many books on subject of his art! But the reason I chose 'Escher' to name that vase (in the absence of knowing what the real name was - actually Carré) was to liken it to his designs. BTW, it's worth visiting the "Museum in a Museum" at The Hague where much of Escher's art is displayed.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 06:58:32 PM »
well, you know I'm going to disagree with you Sue ;) :-*

It's a universally acknowledged truth that any man 'high' on something is going to produce controversial work - but not always work worthy of the name art.       Pollock was an alcoholic who, had he not died on the road, would have drunk himself into the grave very soon anyway  -  and probably of all people he was the most surprised that his work was actually called art.
If you need a computer to work out whether something is art, then we've lost the plot.              There was a retrospective in London about 7 or 8 years ago, and I did go (only cos one of my sons asked me to join him) - but I do think some of his work would make good wallpaper patterns.
But I'd agree that you can be high and do good things- look at Coleridge and Rossetti

Ms. Emmin very tragically experienced a traumatised childhood - and to her credit has risen above those problems and is capable of some very good art - something akin to German expressionism was an early area in which she was very good - again perhaps an outlet for the troubles of her early years. 
But unmade beds  -  defintitely not............ but you can come and see my unmade bed any Sunday morning for free ;D

Escher was a genius - not just because of his designs but doubly so because of the method he chose to create them  -  perhaps on a par with Durer even :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
One does not need the computer programmes to be able to recognise Pollock as art.
It was merely an interesting aside - I only mentioned it to lend weight to my arguement that there is something intrinsically and naturally "right" about his work.

Rossetti? pah, designs for the covers of boxes of (cheap) chocolates.
Coleridge was a genius. I like his music better than anything else though.

Most folk who desire a chemical high have demons to escape from.
(Even Kahil Gibran recognised this)

The "high" bit is irrelevant to the art; the demons are not.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
Interesting. I like my orange vase. It goes well with the orange Whitefriars, Poole Delphis and some of the orange melamine I have. Very typical 60s colour.

I also went to see the Pollock exhibition years ago. I loved it. Interesting to see the progression of his art from that with an esoteric lilt to the action painting, which despite his alcoholism was very emotionally evolved. Some of his larger canvases are so charged with feeling they moved me to tears.

I appreciate Emmin and Hirst but they don't move me in that way. Escher is great and his graphically designed art layered with meaning. I would like an Escher vase, may stumble on one - they do take up room though, even the 4". I like tall vases and wall charger/plates at the moment. I have very little room.

Thanks Adam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand