No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: British cut glass bowl and footed dish. West Midlands glass...?  (Read 683 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
British cut glass bowl and footed dish. West Midlands glass...?
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Hi all.

I am sure someone may recognise this simple cut pattern but this is not really my specific knowledge area. Both pieces appear unmarked. Only the bowl has a star cut bottom. I am unsure even, if the patterns are the same. The cat is a tabby and white called Harry. Any help on the glass identification will be much appreciated!

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: British cut glass bowl and footed dish. West Midlands glass...?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
at a guess I'd say that just about every factory that ever dabbled in cutting produced something with this simple lattice work of mitres.        You don't say anything about the underside of the clear piece  -  is there a pontil depression?     
The green bowl is attractive  -  might be VSL - Czech - S&W (who did like green and used that small scallop decoration around the rim).
Is the cutting sharp or has there been some acid polishing do you think?     -   is there any wear or do they look newish?    -     and is there a lead glass ring?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
Hi Paul, thank you for the interested reply. They are nice things and your comments have made me think about them a bit more. The footed bowl is lighter in construction and possibly more modern. Both have a very clear sounding ring which I am not used to having bought mostly soda potash type glass mainly. The footed bowl has a slight pontil mark in the centre of the base that seems smooth finished in some way. The large bowl is really heavy and the cuts very deep by comparison and I didn't think Czech particularly.... It seems older too. I bought the bowl near Stourbridge so maybe it is an unmarked piece by a local firm.......

thanks again,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
hello Robert..........       As you'll know, cut glass at the higher quality end frequently has a backstamp - but unfortunately, there's a far greater  amount that carries nothing to help with id, and the very simiplicity and lack of defining style with these pieces provides almost nothing to help with attribution.      I'm reminded of the link you provided a year or so back in which you attached images of pages from a Stuart design book - showing drawings of early C20 cutting patterns  -  these simple cross cut mitres are everywhere - although a redeeming feature with Stuart is that frequently there is a backstamp.
Bit of an irony really  -  Stuart produced some of the finest designed cut glass work in the early years of the C20, but the good stuff was no doubt expensive then and prohibitively so now.
Waterford was another name that seemed not to change their designs for perhaps too long, and failed to be aware of a changing market.           

At the other extreme it's often not difficult to spot the work of some factories/designers, before picking the piece up  -  for example the distinctive bright-outlining of leaves which I think was a characteristic feature of Kny's designs for Stuart, and some of the thin-lined naturalistic/organic designs from David Hammond for Webb.         

There were some stunning pieces around from S & W/Webb and Walsh but these are now way beyond us mere mortals, and a lot of the post war progressive designs can be 'run down' in books possibly because they had/have a greater appeal and presumably were produced in far less quantity.        These can often be found in some of the oridinary books we have  -  but as always collectors of cut glass are very poorly served when it comes to literature.
Baxter's cut glass designs may have been inspired by Scandinavia, but they seem too suppressed and lack 'punch'  -  although some of the W/Fs designers prior to Baxter did produce some good deco style cut glass.

I'd agree with your suggestion that your pieces are probably British  -  mid C20 Czech. and VSL material tends to have a more distinctive style of cutting   -  could be wrong but I get the impression that Continental cut designs (at the lower end of the C20 market), tend to show more flair than us, perhaps it's our British reserve.

I really can't help with Stourbridge material  -  certainly I don't think that your green bowl is older than say about the 1940's  -  wear might help here.    The cutting style doesn't look particulary old.      How do we describe this bowl.......... cut green-over-colourless  -  or are we supposed to say green cut-to-clear?

Sorry this is unhelpful (and perhaps boring)  -  but if nothing else might stir one or two people into picking up a pen - those who may think my words contentious ;)     

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the post Paul. It is pretty interesting how the cuts seem to be so international over quite a period of time. I am aware Stourbridge design had some direct Bohemian influences. This seems to span several other areas of glass-making too, judging by another current thread and another thread of old, concerning green "peacock eye" vases, made almost contemporaneously in Stourbridge, Harrach etc.... I am having similar problems with the Webb style cased perfume thread too..... thought possibly Bohemian. I am sure we have left some countries out too, of borrowing to supply the tastes of fashion and who borrowed from whom is so complex that usually, a single answer cannot suffice..... Which is where your description of the simple hatched cuts on this bowl and footed bowl seems well put really... regarding attributions for the pieces being difficult! Thank you for trying in any event. I still have the Stuart notebook online for those interested:
I chatted last week to an old cutter from Stuarts about the notebook and he whipped out a pencil and drew a map of a classic pattern in about five seconds, showing how as an aide memoire, the notebook served really well for the foreman:

https://picasaweb.google.com/RobertLBJ/StuartsCrystalGlassGlassCutterMrCorfieldSPatternDrawingsEtcC19171921?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3c9dnFp-bSIA

thanks again,

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand