No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Frantisek Vizner "Whirlpool" Vase.... A Recent Aquisition  (Read 6630 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
A Frantisek Vizner "Whirlpool" Vase.... A Recent Aquisition
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
Really more to post another example here, as I identified this standing in a show yesterday because of an example Anik had posted for ID.  The dealer had purchased it at an estate sale a couple days earlier and had no idea what it was..... hence, it was cheap...  :-)   and as always, I like cheap.....  :-)

The vase stands at just under 7 inches tall and 3.75 inches in diameter. It weighs in at just under 7 lbs. It has a completely flat polished base with a good amount of age wear.  I understand these were made for a number of years, but are not seen all that much in my part of the world....  this is actually the first I have ever seen. This is a really great piece of glass and unlike any other piece I own, so a nice addition to a small, but unique selection of later Czech glass....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: A Frantisek Vizner "Whirlpool" Vase.... A Recent Aquisition
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
Beautiful example of a great design.
Doesn't really matter imho if older or more recent production, and almost impossible to find out any way without label.
They are not so rare in my part of the world, but unfortunately almost never cheap.

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »
Well done, Craig!

I'm extremely fond of these whirlpool vases.  I've now got three in my collection: a clear with a blue core,  a clear with a topaz core, and an azur.  A couple of days ago, a whirlpool lamp base also entered my collection. What's exciting about it is the colours -- a green core with pink, blue and clear around.  :)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
Thanks Anik,

Love to see the lamp base in particular....  I would rather have a different core color on mine, but I can't be too picky since i have not seen another in my area.....  I will take what I found....  I love the internal texture of the piece..... It looks like you should be able to touch it.... 

Craig

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
Here's my fancy new lamp base. :)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:07:21 PM »
Thanks Anik,

I love that....  Are you going to make a lamp out of it? It would look fabulous with light showering down on those colors and bubbles..... 
Is it basically the same size as the Whirpool Vases?

Craig

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:51 PM »
It's 7 inches tall, just like my three whirlpools. It's sitting on my shelf, pretending to be a vase, though I'm sure it would look wonderful if I got it fitted with a light.  Problem is I would have nowhere to display/set it.  :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »
Wow Anik -- tremendously handsome colourway!
A little bit similar to >> my tall square section one, but much nicer distortion of the swirling bubbles in the round version...

I would consider to turn it into a lamp, too -- one cannot have too many lamps in the living room (I have got 7 ;D )

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:40:34 AM »
It's a wonderful piece, Anik. Nowhere to display it? Let me solve your problem. Any place in my house and a little sweep of my arm would create enough space for it. I'd even swap my Holtkotter desk lamp.

I like your new piece, Craig. Very few of those turn up on this side of the border either, and I suspect those that do were bought by visitors to the Czech Republic. One of mine purported to come from Seattle (attributed to Scandinavia), but the box was postmarked Bulgaria.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 01:40:10 AM »
I have never really found much Vizner Skrdlovice in the UK, suggesting that historic Skrdlovice imports were not widespread here in the 1970's, though a few high end department stores had some pieces from Skrdlovice. Pieces brought back from holidays in Europe seem to be more of a source for fifties items..... Secondary market distribution is interesting to watch as global exchanges take place every minute, patterns can be seen. I would find far more Skrdlovice if I lived in Germany or Austria I think!

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand