Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Press Glass Sphinx  (Read 425 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Press Glass Sphinx
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
A very nice pressed glass sphinx late C1900. I do not know who made it . The only one I can remember seeing or finding on the web is a purple slag glass one that sold at Cowan's Auction Cincinnati in 2007 as English. It was sold as an unknown British maker ( ref Chiarenza and Slater 1998 fig. 289). Although they give a length of 4.6" and my frosted one is 5.5" at the maximum base to base . So it may be a different but very similar in looking Sphinx.
If you google image pressed glass sphinx the purple slag glass one is on the first page.

I not 100% sure myself even if its British. If I did not know I would guess French Baccarat maybe.

Length 5.5" / 14cm . Height 4.75" / 13cm . Weight 1100 gm

Thanks Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Press Glass Sphinx
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »
I'm probably leading you up the garden path here but I recall seeing what I thought was a Saint-Louis bust (may well have been Baccarat I'm thinking of though) that was very large and very heavy and was part frosted part clear on the base.  So they might also be worth a look at.
There are two others I've come across, but they aren't the same as yours
one is a winged sphinx by John Derbyshire
the other a black one from Molineaux Webb & Co.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
According to PK some are marked ┤St. Louis deposÚ┤ to the inside:
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2006-2w-christoph-sphinx-leuchter.pdf
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
 :o I never actually thought I'd be correct
Thanks Dirk

m

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
Thanks m and Dirk.

Well done m I had a feeling it was French and when I said Baccarat I was also thinking possibly St Louis. I know the bust you are thinking of as I had a frosted bust of Christ by Baccarat which I sold but you can see a picture on Pamela's site .

I spoke to someone I know in the USA today who has a very large collection of this type of novelty items and he told me it was made by St Louis, it was made in 2 sizes and that he has 3 of them in the small size in purple slag and the rare pale blue slag, they also made the Small one with out the stepped base.

Thanks Dirk for the link I had a feeling it would be some where on that web site . I did have a quick look last night but very difficult if you do not speak German. A very comprehensive look at both sizes , variations and all the known colours and nice to know that some are marked.

Thanks Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
Photos of an example in unfrosted pretty blue glass. Approximate height 4 inches (100 mm), length at base 4╝ inches (110 mm). Unmarked.

(Permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by Lynne Clark).

Fred.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com