Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Blue and white overlay vase - vine and grapes decoration - enamel?

<< < (2/19) > >>

flying free:
wow, wow and  :o it's beautiful and is it possible it's carved cameo I think with an acid wash over the design?  - you can feel all the carving and layers and see where some parts have been carved out and the blue layer has been left etc but I don't honestly know.
It's been cut at the neck to save it, and bevelled and then polished  - not surprisingly since it's a beautiful piece of work.
Cut to clear on the shiny 'graphic' borders.
The base has a very large polished pontil mark and is worn to matt round the edges.
At 2" tall it's a biggish piece.  Imagine having the decanter undamaged and a set of glasses to match  :o
I'll add some close ups on the next post.
m

flying free:
close ups added to above

flying free:
does anyone have any books with this type of cameo glass in please?  Does the Langhammer book have any in if anyone has it?
I've found three engraved cameo pieces dating to 1845/50 ish and with the overlay decoration, but none have three layers, only two, being the blue cut to clear with the cameo engraving.  One was on red.  The scrolls decoration on the pieces seem very similar to this.  But two were signed and this is not.
I;'m working on the premise this piece probably dates to around this period and is not a later c 1890 or even 1915 type piece.
I've added a cropped close up of the cameo.
Interestingly acid etched cameo engraving was used in Bohemia mid 19th century.  I'd always assumed this was a later technique starting around 1890 ish or at least, the latter part of the century.
I'm going to send it to the V&A and ask for some help as well.
thanks for looking :)
m

flying free:
I believe this was made in 1860.  I don't think I will find the name of the artist - I had thought maybe Karl Pfohl but as far as I can find, it's unknown except it was made in North Bohemia.
m

Ivo:
Bravo - that was most efficient sluithing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version