No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID clear glass vase, deep pulled ribs, sold as Loetz  (Read 1767 times)

Offline TripleLutz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Bohemian glass
    • United States
Re: ID clear glass vase, deep pulled ribs, sold as Loetz
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
I suppose so. I'm really up against my lack of technical knowledge... specifically how much "melding" can go on as material is added and the piece reheated.

As for the "pie crust" effect on the ribs... another way that could have been achieved: create a flat piece with a pattern running horizontally (perhaps built up out of rods), then slice it vertically to make the strips which are attached as ribs.

A couple of additional observations (after much staring at, and handling of, the vase these last couple of days):

Although the vase has some "heft"--remained thick and rather heavy at the foot--the ribs themselves become quite thin and delicate between the "knuckles", suggesting there was significant elongation ("stretching", "pulling"...) after the ribs were first attached. See photos 1 & 3.

Also... there are some bubbles in the glass, which apparently were in the original "blob". If one assumes they were originally round, more or less, then their final disposition provides clues as to the direction and extent of manipulation of the glass as it was worked. See photo 2 (near foot, bubble nearly round); photo 3 (bubble elongated); photo 4 (in the neck, the bubble is quite stretched and pointy). ("Isn't that rather obvious," you may say. Yes, I suppose it is. Forgive me, but I find it at least somewhat illuminating. Whereas we do not know what the ribs looked like when they were first attached, we can safely assume the bubbles were originally somewhat round.)

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments!  :) :) :) Wouldn't blame anybody for saying we've beaten this one enough. Still looking for precedents and a maker, though!

Cheers!
Doug

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand