No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass George VI coronation mug  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pressed glass George VI coronation mug
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
...........however, Mods will need to split because the mug is Sowerby and will need to go into British & Irish  -  although the remainder will stay in Glass. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
That's what I was thinking, too, Paul. They are both interesting topics and each is worthy  :) (And thanks for raising the Jacobean issue  :) )
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 01:35:52 AM »
Thank you one and all have not been on for a while and forgot who helpful and informative your members are tend to pick these pieces up to research for something to do basically since having to finish work through ill health. Photograph them log them and then tend to sell on happy just to get my money back wife goes mad if I keep everything. Well worth the 49p I paid just to keep me busy and feel as though I have made friends on here. Going back to the Jacobean had my hands on some small tot glasses the other week still with there stickers on for the life of me don't know why I did not buy them if only not to photograph. Ah well might still be there next time I go down town. Also had a Davidson Victory mug will have to find photo out many thanks Mark

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »
Tankards

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
hello Mark.           The Davidson Victory mug is attractive, and same pattern was used for the Fesival of Britain I believe.        I agree with you re the problems of keeping all the glass you find, but you do seem to be buying at good prices. ;D

The uranium example I don't recognize  -  doesn't appear in the Stewart's book (although it does have the cut-out on the handle), and there's nothing in either of Barry Skelcher's books. 
Perhpas Lustrousstone might know more. :)

Any Jacobean with labels is always worth buying  -  as it may well help with history of who made what, when and where.

Best of luck with your buying :)

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
Thanks Paul when I first started doing this came across a Hazel Atlas Royal lace covered butter dish with the label on in local charity shop couple of quid. Thought check this out did not know anything about glass at the time took me some time but enjoyed it did not even know the value. Sold it on made £136.00 back to U.S.A to be honest I don't do it for the money but it does help lol (you would not believe the bargains I have had). Plus I think they are going to the true collector, and at the end of the day if only for a short while I have had my enjoyment. Must admit though I do like the mdina glass think it is very under rated like it much better than Whitefriars and that seems to get the money ah well thanks for your time all the best Mark

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 02:13:51 AM »
For Paul photos of the Jacobean glasses with labels. 1 very small wine or sherry glass. 2 very small tot glass. All the best Mark

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
thanks Mark  -  labels provide so much more information, although sad to say that most people would normally wash them off at the first opportunity.           All the more remarkable that these drinking glasses should have escaped losing theirs - so quite possibly never used.
I do see these patterns not uncommonly on my walks, but yet to find one with a label.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand