No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass George VI coronation mug  (Read 4233 times)

Offline bungie60

• Members
Pressed glass George VI coronation mug
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:55:38 AM »
Half pint glass mug possible Davidson any ideas

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pressed glass George VI coronation mug
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:17:30 AM »
hello :)       there are better qualified people than me who I'm sure will have the answer - but one small point of interest is that Davidson tankards do in the main seem to have a small cut out portion on the top of the handle, where it joins the body.......and this one seems to lack that feature.      So.......??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »
Having mentioned the characteristic handle feature on Davidson, thought I'd add some pix showing............

1/........four cans/mugs/tankards  -  all Davidson, and all showing the small flat notch-like cut out where the handle attaches to the body.

2/.......single Sowerby mug, which does have the trademark.

3/.......mug of unknown provenance  -  showing Queen with very unflattering hooter.

4/......another example of George VI Coronation, showing frosted motif (except oval band of words) - unlike the first one in this post which appears completely glossy.      Unknown provenance.

I'll try and have a look at the Sowerby CD's some time and see if Nos. 3 and 4 are there.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
regret I don't see your can/mug in the Sowerby catalogue.         

Am attaching a pic of 'Jacobean' tankards/mugs, again showing this 'cut-out' feature on the handles  -  I say 'Jacobean' because that is what two of them have in relief letters around the rim of the base  -  although all three have the mirror shiny outer part of the base, which I had understood to mean they were not U.K. made pieces.
However, on the basis that 'Jacobean' was Davidson's Tyneside re-branded name of the Rudolfova hut 'Lord' range - then, logically, these pieces were made in the U.K., and not Czechoslovakia, and are simply one more example of this odd handle feature which seems to have been peculiar to Davidson  -  or was it really a Rudolfova hut design feature that Davidson continued ;D
The reason for waffling a little is that I'd assumed I would be able to find an illustration of a Czechoslvakian made example of this (Jacobean)tankard/mug (showing the handle cut-out), but I can't  -  despite looking in Pamela's French Markbheim catalogue and the Sklo Union book and CD.
None of which is particularly relevant to your mug - but grew out of my efforts looking at Davidson's handles with cut outs :)

As far as I can see Bagley didn't offer any commemorative mugs - and don't believe that Nazeing did either - so getting to the end of the road, regrettably.

My apologies for hijacking and going off the rails a bit, but hope it wasn't all boring, presumably no one else had any ideas?                 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »
George VI & Elizabeth Coronation tankard dated 1937 in amber glass - same piece as the top of the topic, but mine has some frosting on the panel.

Made by Sowerby,  Ellison Glassworks, Gateshead-on-Tyne  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
well done Anne.             Looked again through Volume Two CD which is where I'd assume it to be, but obviously not looking in the right place.   Does yours have a trademark?

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »
Yes, it is indeed illustrated in our Sowerby CDs (Volume 2). As well as including a wealth of information from the original catalogues, we also included much contemporary info from our research work re. the Pottery Gazettes. One ad in particular was exceptionally helpful to identify some interesting items - and you can see it in the Pottery Gazette section on CD Volume 2. Specifically the pages titled October 1936 (two pages). The ad in question was from October 1st 1936 and it depicted an array of glass made by Sowerby's specifically for the forthcoming Coronation. The mug that is the subject of this thread was illustrated along with several other items.

(Aside: one of the other items is a "bust" of the future King, which is a fascinating story all by itself. This ad helped to solve a long standing mystery as to what factory had made that elusive bust).

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »
thanks for the helpful and informative reply  -  all is now clear, must remember those Pottery Gazette pages in future :)          Assume this will now be moved to 'British & Irish'.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
thanks for the helpful and informative reply  -  all is now clear, must remember those Pottery Gazette pages in future :)          Assume this will now be moved to 'British & Irish'.

British and Irish? Despite your interesting "aside" into the Inwald production of Jacobean?  :) Talking of which ....

I also have one of those amber Jacobean marked tankards, and I agree, the base has the mirror shiny grind that I usually (not always, mind you, there's another long story there) associate with Inwald. However, to add to the evidence for this being a possible Inwald piece, I have a circa 1934 "Retail Booklet" (Clayton Mayers, I believe) on the entire Jacobean range, which has a most interesting feature. It marks out the British Made items with a large black dot - and the handled tankard, No. 8563, does not have a black dot (i.e. it was not British Made).
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
then no doubt the Mods will please disregard my suggestion ;D  -  I would defer to Glen's judgement on this issue always.

Some year or two back I set out to collect as much Lord/Jacobean as I could, but fell by the wayside - I never do very well when trying to be a 'completist' with some particular pattern or group  -  there's always some other glassy distraction, and then there's the issue of space  -  as we know there were a vast array of designs within this one pattern (there's at least three different water jugs, marked 'Jacobean' - as attached)  -  so I've given up collecting them, unless I see the table lamp that is, in rose ;)        I guess that 98% of the pieces I find are clear.
I believe other factories produced clear glass with similar rectangular lenses - and not all Jacobean/Lord is marked anyway - so it gets a bit confusing, and you'd need access to the factory catalogues to check designs etc.

It is true that I believed anything marked with 'Jacobean' was a U.K. made piece, but obviously this is not a hard and fast rule.........who knows, maybe the marketing people found that this item didn't sell that well in the U.K.              So, I've been k.o.'d by a black dot ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand