No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID clear glass vase, deep pulled ribs, sold as Loetz  (Read 1765 times)

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: ID clear glass vase, deep pulled ribs, sold as Loetz
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »
It does have an English look. I suggest it was blown into a deeply ribbed mould and then twisted. Are the ribs near enough identical? Can you just feel them indented on the inside?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
I felt  the finish is very like Walsh MOP, but the lovely trailed ribs kind of put me off Walsh as the maker.... they're just "not Walsh-y".  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TripleLutz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Bohemian glass
    • United States
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
Thanks, Sue and Christine!  :-*
OK... just returned from "the deck" with some more pictures (beautiful spring-like day in North Carolina!)... mostly I am exploring Christine's hypothesis that the vase was mould blown and then manipulated.

Questions: Are the ribs regular?
See photos 1 and 2. By no means perfectly regular. See the different spacing and bottom condition among ribs at straight-up 12 versus 1 and 2 o'clock. Also, the ribs have thick spots--"knuckles"?--spaced along their length and in photo 2 you can see that these knuckles are not spaced the same rib to rib. Now, I must say they are mostly aligned, but I found and photographed this spot where they are clearly not.
Does the interior surface dip at the ribs, perhaps indicating material flowed into the mould?
Not at all. In fact, when I run my hand along the inside surface of the vase, I find it rises slightly at the ribs, as if material was pushed back towards the interior. On the other hand, in photo 3 (looking into the vase) it appears the material is seamlessly continuous between the vase wall and the ribs.
Are there any other clues?
There are a couple of places where it appears a rib was snagged in the manufacturing process, as if it were caught in the mould and a small "flap" of molten glass were pulled loose. See photo 4. Purely speculation, of course--other processes could have produced the same result.

So where does this leave us....??? Please let me know what you think.
I remain stumped...  ??? , but perhaps slightly inclined towards Christine's suggestion of mould blown and then manipulated. The irregularity in the ribs makes one wonder; however, I do not think there would have necessarily been perfect regularity in the mould itself.
I can imagine the ribs being pressed back towards the interior of the vase after it was removed from the mould, causing the slight rise on the inside wall.
And then there are the places where material got hung up in the mould... (Sheesh... what an imagination this guy has...  ::))
But if it was made in a mould, how could other examples be escaping us? Made one and broke the mould? ...I don't think so!
Anyhow... again... please let me know what you think. And thank you so much for your time and careful consideration!  :) :) :)
I am certainly enjoying this and quite happy to have found this board. Thanks, Craig, for pointing the way.
Cheers!
Doug

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
You are welcome Doug..... Glad you are finding it enjoyable and useful...
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
From all that information, I would definitely go with the ribs being separately applied to the body

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »
I go with hot-worked ribs too.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline TripleLutz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Bohemian glass
    • United States
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
Hmmmm.... "hot-worked ribs" sounds like home cooking where I come from!  ;D
Now that we've traded positions...  8)
What do you see as the most persuasive evidence for "attached"?
Here's my most persuasive argument for "mould blown"...
When I look into the vase and look closely at the glass as it flows into the ribs, it appears continuous (optically clear) at every point. If they were attached, surely there would be a break somewhere...
My initial thought was that the ribs were "pulled"--in which case the material would also be "continuous"--however, I now believe they are too regular and the interior surface too smooth for that kind of manipulation.
Too bad you are dependent on my photography. Let me know if there's any detail you would like for me to try to capture.
And thanks again for giving this your time, Christine, Sue... and others. I really appreciate it.  :)
Doug

P.S. I have a fantasy, which some on this board may have already had the pleasure of living out, that some day I'll take enough hot glass classes so I'm not simply speculating about technique. Alas, life is short... my list is long.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,47013.msg264404.html#msg264404

this vase has pinched trails made by pinching the body of the vase I believe. You can feel on the interior where the glass is not entirely smooth.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46:24 PM »
If it was hotworked, could it be then that  the trails were applied, then 'pie crust edged' with a gadget, then the body blown out and twisted in which case it would be heated to do so, so would the body glass then 'meld' into the applied trails? thereby making it look as though it was all one piece?
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
That makes sense.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk