No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina Extra Large Globe  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Unusual Mdina Extra Large Globe
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
I thought I would upload a few pictures of this rather unusual and interesting very large Mdina globe.

The colours and size both seem very unusual indeed, the colours seem more pronounced than in any other globe that I have come across before. I strongly suspect it has to be the hand of MH.

The globe measures around 7 inches and weighs 2.1kg. I have added a picture, standing next to a normal sized large globe for comparison.

All thoughts welcome.
Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Unusual Mdina Extra Large Globe
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
itshg...g-g-g-g-g-g-ggggppphtppgglorioussss!
(splutter)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »
Very cool globe Greg
The size is not that unusual but it is big. This one is 6.5": https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5484548837927530450
This one too: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5429986568080928658

John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
That is very beautiful Greg...the colours are glorious and as I am just starting to take more interest in MH's work,  it is lovely to see this one in particular...thank you for sharing it with us.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
Thanks all for your thoughts, Sue, Rosie and John  :)

I've added a couple of extra pictures next to a 6 inch globe, for comparison. Interestingly, the larger globe weighs around 1kg more than the other slightly smaller one. Its quite a thickly blown example, which no doubt accounts for much of this extra weight. The ground base to the larger globe is also noticeably much wider.

The colours are fabulous, I'll try to take a few pictures in natural daylight tomorrow, weather permitting. Certainly, not the cheapest globe I've purchased, however, certainly one of the most pleasing.  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:09 PM »
Rather beautiful!  well done.  I like the patches of yellow bubbles.  I had those on a squat vase that I sold a while ago - it's a lovely effect.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
 :)
The patches of yellow bubbles are confusing me! They are leading me to wonder if this isn't a complicated version of the Japanese globe after all.

It's wearing a different outfit in every picture Greg. I need to get my mitts on it!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
Hi Sue - I think I may have unintentionally confused you  :), this is a different globe to the one you looked at the other week. It does have quite a few different appearances as you rotate it around. The natural daylight at present is reasonably good, so I'll try to get a few other shots in plain light, to see if it helps.  :) 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »
This is another new one? Well that's a small relief, I'm not going quite as peculiar as I worried I was.
Don't fret, I confuse easily.  ::)

But this is even better than that other one - you are getting very, very jammy, Greg.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
 :)
The natural sunlight is reasonably good for a change! - Here are a selection of shots taken in plain light with no camera flash. The last few (in the next post) have natural daylight shinning through. Hope these are helpful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand