No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id for inner half of weight?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline joewol

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • england
id for inner half of weight?
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »
 i bought this thinking it was a complete milliefiori paperweight sat on a small metal dish
it arrived to my shock glued to said dish and i think only half complete without the outer layers of glass
i have two questions; firstly am i right in thinking its perthshire and second; would i be able to get it made into a complete paperweight?

ps
 i also have a double overlay that  hasent been completely finished !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: id for inner half of weight?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »
Looks like one that was supposed to be glued to something (though perhaps not a metal dish) and more like Vasart. What size is it? I don't think there's anything missing apart from whatever it should be fixed to.
http://strathearn.smugmug.com/Ysart-Vasart-Paperweights-1946/Ysart-Vasart-Hardware-1946-to/1158027_8WWTnm#!i=54041623&k=R73FFZc
http://www.ysartglass.com/Vascat/VasF001.htm
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1742
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1737

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline joewol

• Members
    • paperweights
    • england
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
Hi christine
The size is 1.1/2 inches across and a tad over an inch high, the reason i thought it was perthshire because of the annual weights with the date and "p" on the base until your link and i agree with you ,intrestingly the lady i bought this and the overly i mentioned from told me her farther worked for a glass factory in crieff and he made them both along with some others she has,sadly he has recently passed on so i didnt ask her to many questions.
Many thanks christine
Joe

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
one answer Joe is no you can not make it into a complete paperweight as the molten glass will make the weight explode , to me it looks like it been a second but somehow escaped the molton covering of perthshire seconds, from your photos it looks like the 3rd row of canes from center out has slightly moved during pick up
cheers Ray

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:08:12 AM »

Could it be encased into a finished paperweight?  Maybe.  You would have to know the linear expansion coefficient of the glass it is made from, then find a source of clear that would match.  Before encasement it would have to placed in a kiln and brought up to a working temp.  After encasement it would have to go back into the kiln for annealing, a gradual cooling process.  Anywhere in this process of heating and cooling it is possible that the glass could crack, it shouldn't, but it could.

Offline joewol

• Members
    • paperweights
    • england
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »

Not sure the weight was made to go into production i believe it was made for himself i have tried to match the designwith over perthshires if thats the place he worked as she wasnt sure i suppose it is possible it never made it to the furnace but that dosent match with whatvi was told
Also thanks for the tecnical info not sure i uunderstood what you was explaining but in my case thats a good thing
Thanks guys
Joe

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:31:47 AM »
An unfinished paperweight that was probably not sent to the reject pile or perhaps picked out of the reject pile. Why would someone do this? Who knows? Perhaps to study it. To practice something. No, you cannot add to this to make it a "complete" paperweight. You cannot reheat this piece as it will crack. you could fuse a doorknob base to it. Or you could clean up the bottom and fuse a metal ring to it and the a typical looking pedestal base to it. Either glass or metal. Younhave a curiosity piece, nothing more. Enjoy it for what it is.

Offline joewol

• Members
    • paperweights
    • england
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »

just trying to ascertain the origin of the item for the lady i got it from as she isn't sure who her dad worked for, the question about making it into a full size paperweight was to satisfy my own curiosity
i also have a fabulous double overlay multi faceted piece with a small bouquet of flowers in the centre from the same lady maybe that came from the reject pile to?
Joe

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 06:51:46 PM »
joe did you get them off a lady called Morag?
cheers Ray

Offline joewol

• Members
    • paperweights
    • england
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »
Hi ray
Yes it was would i be right in thinking you got the catterpillar?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand