No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Treasure or trash? Bizzare glass ...  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Weirdpuckett

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • U.S.
Re: Treasure or trash? Bizzare glass ...
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
Some immediate differences in the Rigual shades and my own are; those shades are frosted...the metal base collars on the Rigual have some sort of ornate scrolling near the top, next to the glass...more questions arise.....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Shades and fittings are often sourced from separate companies and possibly even different countries and assembled by the wholesaler, rarely does a shade manufacturer create a lamp, so that link doesn't really help except to show an example of a very similar shade, presumably from the same source. The source of the shade might be a decorator using blanks from one or more glass factories or a glass factory that decorated in house.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »
I thought the description said the shades had fired on glass beading, and the one on it's own lying on the desk has the same collar as yours, and appears to sit in the decorative holder when in situ....I will go and have another look...the shades are not necessarily made by Rigual, but with that name you may, with much searching, find another Rigual piece that has the same or similat shades where they say who the maker of the shades was.  You just have to keep following all the links and be prepared to go off at a tangent sometimes and hope to happen upon a link....it is out there somewhere.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 04:41:17 PM »
WP let me say that your shades are without a doubt very nice higher quality shades. My point was that be aware of attibutions from auction houses & from Kovels because Kovels has a history of accepting attibutions from auction houses when in fact no expert verification has been made. The photo from Kovels on line shows the photo was from an auction house...thats not verification. Plus the words "marked Pairpoint" were missing from the auction house info & if they were Pairpoint they would be marked on the metal collars. They are not 'fakes" they are simply misattributed by someone shooting from the hip...simple as that, but again you have a pair of very good qualily shades & there are times when an attribution is not terribly important when the item(s) stand on their own merit as in your case. if I had found them I'd be dancing for joy. Nice buy. 

I should add that if you are wondering what to do with them, they would go nicely with candlestick lamps manufactured in the 20s by multiple manufacturers. An example is below & although there are Pairpoint many other manufacturers made similar lamps that can be used with your shades so keep an eye out for a pair. They are usually reasonable in cost. 

Offline Weirdpuckett

• Members
    • Glass
    • U.S.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »
Why I am truly humbled by the knowledge that you all have so graciously shared.My sincere thanks! I understand more clearly now , I guess it makes sense concerning the shades makers-lamp makers relationship.
The designer, in this case-"Rigual" works on the design...the metal workers fashion the lamp (base)...then some fine shade makers are selected (cant put trashy shades with a Rigual lamp) ...I can see why Ohio (Ken) said that it might not be so pertinent to "know" who made the shades-in This case anyways.I suppose there may be someone with the Rigual base, but no original shades.
How important is it to the majority of collectors of antiques like these, to "restore" these types of things?
With automobiles, for instance, it is quite important.It this the case with art neuveau items?

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
I would say that its up to the whims of whomever is attempting to restore a lamp…after all lamp shades can be used is so many ways it isn’t even funny & many simply use replacement shades with a base. I’ll bet ½ of all the slag glass shades you see in malls are marriages, you’ve found a good proper period base & you ran across a good period slag shade that fits so why not marry the two? Case in point here is a huge Pairpoint fine arts banquet lamp that sits in my living room. The base weighs 27 lbs with the glass silver & marble & the spread of the silver candlestick trident is 16”. I had it a decade looking for a glass shade that would fit & if I wanted to “restore” it with an original Pairpoint shade (1) I would have to find one…good luck with that & (2) if I did find one I would have been out $1,500 to $1,800 for the shade. Two years ago I walked in a small mall & found this high domed 19” glass shade for $80 & finally after a decade  I had my lamp complete.  It just all depends.

While I am on the subject & I am speaking of the U.S. only here…95% of all lamp manufacturers did not manufacture the glass components of their lamps…they subcontracted with existing glass manufacturers, Cambridge, Tiffin, Heisey, Duncan, etc. whereby they sent the molds to the glass manufacturer for the pours & then had the molds & glass parts shipped back to them for assembly so identifying whom did what for whom is pretty much impossible since subcontracted job records were not kept by glass manufacturers. There were exceptions of course, Pairpoint, Aladdin, Jefferson, etc. had total manufacturing operations, metal & glass, but that’s the exception. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what you are up against when it comes to lamps in many cases. 

Offline Weirdpuckett

• Members
    • Glass
    • U.S.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
Thanks Ohio! Thats a nice lamp you've got! I guess I am kind of hoping to reunite these shades with someone who needs them....I have never sold anything via online auction etc.
I want to sell ' email...but with the purpose of getting theme to somebody who has been in desperation looking for them.
Not because I think I can get the most money, but for the sake of the persons with the dilemma...Any suggestions on how I could present these shades or find someone like that?

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
Other than eBay no although I think someone on the first page may have expressed interest in them.

Offline Weirdpuckett

• Members
    • Glass
    • U.S.
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 01:43:26 AM »
Im leanin' towards Ebay...never sold anything there....these shades cant stay with me....I was just looking for some Anchor Hocking "Fire-King" cookware that day....now Im looking up names of skilled French artists...now I know how Bilbo Baggins felt...poot hobbit....

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 08:31:41 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300875800137?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This link shows a signed Pairpoint shade as per OP's with a dark wooden tall 'large candlestick' shaped typed base all wired.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand