No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Identifying this Stemware  (Read 422 times)

Offline Lauriescott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • stemware
    • USA
Help Identifying this Stemware
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
I inherited this stemware from my family. I have been told it is over 100 years old. There are 42 pieces in all. They range from the tall goblet down to the liquor. There are 5 different heights. I have requested help from Replacements.com, but they were unable to identify the maker. Without knowing the maker, I am unable to put this stemware up for sale or auction. Attached is a picture of the stemware. I would like to thank anyone who can give me some suggestions or help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help Identifying this Stemware
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
hello Laurie, welcome to the GMB :)      shame you can't run down the maker  -  unfortunately, a not uncommon event with drinking glasses.
My personal opinion would be that this shouldn't prevent you from selling, assuming that is what you wish to do  -  people will buy because they like the look of these pieces.        Assume these are lead glass i.e. they ring well when struck, and looking at this goblet, there is a lot of cutting, and they appear to have some quality, although these facts alone give us no real help regarding age.   Do you consider the States to heve been the origin of these pieces?
People like to see the underside of the feet when it comes to stemware - this can sometimes give clues to age, and of course, someone here may recognize your glasses and be able to help, so fingers crossed. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Help Identifying this Stemware
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
Hi Laurie,
I'm having a little trouble reading the picture.   

Is it pressed glass that's also cut?  Or is it just all cut?  The bottom of the bowl is what has me a bit confused.

The radial patterns on the foot, ... are those cut into the bottom or is what I'm seeing caused by whatever you have it setting on?

Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand