No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Annette Meech  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Annette Meech
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:36:55 PM »
On a separate note - has anyone here ever heard of Annette Meech?  My husband (at the same time as he bought this lovely pink AA piece) also bought a goblet that initially he thought might be Mdina but on close inspection it has a signature underneath which says Annette Meech 1973.  I managed to locate her current glassworks in Sivigny in France and it turns out the goblet was one of the first items she made on graduation from the Royal College of Art and she told me the value was around £75 - she made very few of them.  Aren't I lucky to have a husband with such a superb eye for glass and a real nose for a bargain... I'll post the link in a sec - can't find the picture ....

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: Annette Meech
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:41:33 PM »
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 04:42:36 PM »
I've some 'Apollo' glasses by her for Ravenhead.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 04:43:39 PM »
here's the goblet - Annette told me that the mottled silvery brown effect was made by throwing silver nitrate(?) at it (silver something anyway - my memory isn't what it was!) - hubby bought it from Oxfam for £5.

http://i3.tinypic.com/wbdrsz.jpg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 03:45:26 PM »
:D  :shock: :mrgreen:

Lovely! I'm very jealous!

I have a very strange piece by her, dated '71. I don't care what anybody else says, it's a mushroom shape. It is not a dildo.
 :cry: Still no camera!

I had Apollo glasses back in the late '70's. It's really hard to find big ones now, even the wee ones are fairly rare.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 04:11:52 PM »
LOL - I'm dying to see your Annette Meech dildo - sorry I mean MUSHROOM!!!  Was just thinking though, if it's dated 1971 that might be one of her graduation pieces from the RCofA perhaps?  Or possibly one of her very first pieces from the Glasshouse in Covent Garden ....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »
:shock::lol::shock:

I do hope so! The tall body is a lovely blue, with texture within the colour, there is a top-knot wrapped around thickly at the top, tapering in a spiral down the body. The tapering top-knot is yellowy-browny irridesent-y.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 06:22:03 PM »
Heard of Annette Meech, German born in 1948, in Cologne, and moved to the UK? Of course, one of the greatest British Glass Artists, male or female, who set up the Covent Garden glass house in London for about 20 years, early 1970's to early 1998?  A graduate of the Royal College of Art and contemporary to Christopher Williams, Norman Stuart Clarke,  etc she moved to France circa 2006, when i last spoke to her.
Here is what the 20th century Glass forum says of her,
"Annette Meech
Post by Pip on March 24th 2009, 9:32 am

Annette Meech graduated from the Royal College of Art in 1972 and started her working life at the Old Glasshouse in Covent Garden, London. This is a very early piece of Annette's work from that period - signed 'Annette Meech 1973' made just the year after she graduated. The brown/milky effect to this goblet was created using silver chloride. Annette Meech is particularly well-known for designing the iconic 'Apollo' and other glassware for Ravenhead. In 1999 she moved her glassworks to France (Sivignon) where she continues to produce beautiful hand made art glass.
Her address is
Address: Le Bourg, 71220 Sivignon, France
Phone: +33 3 85 59 64 25
I hope this helps?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 06:45:25 PM »
Got pics of two goblets from '72. I own the red one, not the other.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
Heard if Annette Meech, German born in 1948, in Cologne, and moved to the UK? Of course, one of the greatest British Glass Artists, male or female, who set up the Covent Garden glass house in London for about 20 years, early 1970's to early 1998?  A graduate of the Royal College of Art and contemporary to Christopher Williams, Norman Stuart Clarke,  etc she moved to France circa 2006, when i last spoke to her.
Here is what the 20th century Glass forum says of her,
"Annette Meech
Post by Pip on March 24th 2009, 9:32 am

Annette Meech graduated from the Royal College of Art in 1972 and started her working life at the Old Glasshouse in Covent Garden, London. This is a very early piece of Annette's work from that period - signed 'Annette Meech 1973' made just the year after she graduated. The brown/milky effect to this goblet was created using silver chloride. Annette Meech is particularly well-known for designing the iconic 'Apollo' and other glassware for Ravenhead. In 1999 she moved her glassworks to France (Sivignon) where she continues to produce beautiful hand made art glass.

Her address is
Address: Le Bourg, 71220 Sivignon, France
Phone: +33 3 85 59 64 25
I hope this helps?

May I add that I have just spoken to her and Christopher Williams, 12-03-2020- who tell me they retired  as glass makers in 2017, but are enjoying a well earned retirement in Burgundy. They occasionally get enquiries about their work, but sadly no longer produce anymore!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand