No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I don't normally buy Figural Glass - Early Beranek is a different Story - A Swan  (Read 2082 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
It seems the early Beranek is just going to keep finding me, no matter how hard I try to ignore it. I saw this a couple of weeks ago, and had my suspicions...  looked at some early drawings and found a similar, but not identical piece from 1946.  Could simply be a variation of that piece. I am not sure.   It kind of hung in the back of my mind, because I really do not have figural items in my collection (just not my thing, and hope the zoo members do not haunt me forever over this  ::)  )   Anyways, yesterday was a dry and above freezing day, and the Harley was calling me, so I used it as an excuse to take a ride out of town and go see if it was still there..... i just knew it would be, and to top it off, it was on sale, and not all that much money....

Robert has seen the piece already, and he concurs that it is right for early Beranek also.

The glass is right for Early Beranek, as is the pontil style and work. I do have to admit that every time I look at it I am simply amazed that the neck has not been snapped off in the last 60+ years..... and that the very thin beak is actually still there....  so I will take a group shot later when I have time, adding it into the mix... but for now I have posted some images of the Swan dish alone.

The items measures 8 inches tall, 4 inches wide, and 5 inches long....

Honk Honk Honk.... (Swan noises)   ;D

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline bOBA

• Members
Hi Craig, great early Beranek swan, huge too. He made lots of swans, 5014 and 5015 have similar base pads, though appear to be nearer 16cm total height. I think he made quite a few swans, his last in 1953 I think, so some variation from patterns may be accepted! A really great piece, so finely made with the bubble glass and a remarkable survival as you say, great piece,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks Robert, I have not seen those line drawings..... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand