Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Jonas Defries & Sons, RD 35778, 26 June 1846 - Night lamp

<< < (5/7) > >>

flying free:
Hi Paul and thank you :)

brain now in gear and I know what you mean.  The link to my vase is below.  I suppose I was just wondering if you'd come across anything shaped like my vase,  specified in colour maybe, but also if you'd noticed any pic similar to the enamel on my vase.  I can't think there will be anything about the vase, other than that, that is registered for any reason.
The dates/no's in Gulliver's run from example 43424 Jul 6 1847 (etruscan prints) to 52328 June 6 1848 which is a jug with a flowering pattern of water lilies and leaves that I believe might have used the same kind of enamels as the 'fawn' on my vase.
I suppose it might be possible the shape of the vase could be in there somewhere, especially the cupped rim.
The link is here.  I'm 99.9% sure the vase is Richardson but unfortunately my conclusions are the last, as not had any replies from queries I've sent elsewhere that either confirm fully or dissent.  The only way I will get any closer than that is to go myself and check the Richardson pattern books, but even that is most unlikely to happen.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53085.msg301507.html#msg301507
Thank you again.  Whenever you next go, if it is possible to give a quick check, that would be very much appreciated.  Many thanks :)
m

agincourt17:
A thick and heavy tumbler in amethyst / aubergine pressed glass, the flared sides having a broad plain rim above a chunky hobnail pattern; 4 inches tall.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by wight-boy33).

The base bears the registry date lozenge for 7 June 1883 – Parcel 20 (though the date letter is indistinct, so the lozenge reads ? – K – M – 20). The only design registration for that date was RD 399063, and the registrant was J. Defries & Sons, London.

The base is also marked ½ P (presumably ½ pint capacity) and DEPOSE (the French term for registered). Although Derfries was the design registrant, the DEPOSE mark on the base might seem to point to a French manufacturer.

This appears to be the final Defries family glass design registration (see my reply #11 above).

The online design registration summary from The National Archives does not give a subject, so it seems rather out of the Defries run of registrations to have a coloured tableware piece rather than a lighting-related registration, though Jonas Defries & sons is known to have supplied coloured lantern glasses for the Indian trade (also in my rely #11).

If Paul S. happens by this post, I wonder if he might have the design representation to RD 399063 to hand in confirmation of the registration details, please?

Fred.

flying free:
I'm not sure where to put this so have put it here

It appears Defries and Sons produced glass furniture and were competitors to Osler

'Glass furniture from companies like Osler (and its British competitors, Defries & Sons and the Coalbourne Hill Glass Works) had another distinct advantage. Because the glass cutting was geometric, not figural, the decoration was acceptable to Muslim rulers.'
Source NY Times 16 June 2006

Paul S.:
couple of years late I'm afraid Fred  -  but on the assumption this may still have some interest for you, attached is a watermarked and resized image of the original drawing held by The National Archives at Kew for the Defries Rd. 399063 dated 7th June 1883 - and address is 147 Houndsditch as you've already mentioned.                There is no mention on the original drawing, or in the single volume Register, to suggest where this was made, but I'd agree with you that the word Depose appears to confirm this tumbler was made outside the U.K.

agincourt17:
Thank you for showing the RD 399063  design representation, Paul - every little bit of definitive information helps.

Fred.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version