No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating Moser  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Dating Moser
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:10:37 PM »
Trying to get an ida of data on a Moser catalogue, I suspect after 1893 but before 1910 and most likely before 1900. Highest pattern number is 8281 and here are some of the more recognisable high pattern number items. Lowest pattern number is 0  :D
7661 intaglio cut vase
7820 Suite. Wine glass and cups in shape
8147 Intaglio cut wine glass
8174 vase, I assume stained not flashed colour?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Dating Moser
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »
8281 Bowl

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »
According to "Moser 1857-1997", it's Product Catalogue 2 1902

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:31:38 AM »
Sounds close enough, thanks Christine. It is actually catalogue of the French agency so probably a subset of that one. It is 24 pages.

Do you know if the colouring was stain?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
Doesn't say, sorry

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Just while browsing for examples I came across some saying the glass was flashed and others stained... though most did not mention it .... scouring sources I can find nothing to indicate if Moser were flashing or staining. One even mentioned pseudo cameo for 8174 type... did not buy that.
Also saw quite a few examples on-line with a deep blue, presumably a later colour as all those shown in the catalogue are quite light colours. I also have their 1948 catalogue (already on-line) but that has none of these early styles, and another from 1950s which I cannot find... grrr.

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
They aren't stained.  8174 is marquetry and cut. I also don't think they are flashed. I think more properly you'd call it cased. The layers aren't that thin. they're thin but not paper thin.

This type of glass was made from about 1893-1915 or 1920 or something along those lines.

Before 1895 Moser got their glass from Harrach for this type of thing and there is some evidence that they didn't stop buying from harrach entirely once they got their own glass works up and running. Harrach also made this type of glass.

Mike has one of the marquetry examples right now

http://www.manddmoir.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/moir?opendocument&part=5/

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »
Thanks for confirming that and the marquetry example.

Discussion of and details of how, with pics, on flashing and semi-casing are in this old thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1247.0.html

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »
The monogrammed lobed glass at £60 the pair are pattern 560 which sold in a service of 48 glasses (4 sizes) and 4 carafes for 175 Francs plus, from 6 to 50 francs for monogram on the entire service. By contrast the 8174 shown above sold for 90 Francs

One online site gives 1 Franc = 10 shillings in 1900 (I find that surprising...) but divide Francs by 2 for equivalent pounds.

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »
From what is there that confirms my thought that these are cased the color is an inner layer not outer. (most of the time) There are some instances where the color appears to be on both inner and outer layers changing down to a clear either at the top or bottom. I don't know if some of these are really some brand of heat sensitive glass or if they're all cased.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand