No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of Antique / Georgian (?) Glasses  (Read 995 times)

Offline Novasonic

• Members
Pair of Antique / Georgian (?) Glasses
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »
Hello,

I picked up this pair of small glasses yesterday that look old - but I am not sure of the rough date / type of glassses these are. pics attached

Base & rim is 4.5cm diameter
9.5cm high
thick glass with horizontal striations on the bowl.
No pontil scars although there are "shear" marks on base
base is not perfectly round and has inclusions

Does anyone have any idea of rough period / type of glasses these are ?

Many Thanks

Rob

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pair of Antique / Georgian (?) Glasses
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
Hello  -  If you have shear marks on the underside of the feet - sometimes called gadget marks - then this is an indication that your glasses were probably made somewhere in the last quarter of the C19.         Of course, if you are not implying a gadget mark, then they might be considerably older.
I'd suggest these are dram glasses with funnel (or conical) shapped bowls -  and possibly not made of lead glass  -  give then a flick and see if they ring.
It's quite possible these glasses are not trying to pretend to be older  - they may simply be honest pub glasses made to withstand a hard life.
Let's see what Peter (oldglassman) thinks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
did mean to say that with pieces like this it is important to see a picture of the underside of the foot  -  a lot can be learned from seeing how the foot is finished.          So, a picture of theunderneath of the foot if possible, please. :)

Offline Novasonic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your response - sorry - I meant to post a pic of the base.  I don't think they are Lead crystal as there isn't much of a ding!

Here is base pic

Thanks

Rob

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:03:04 PM »
thanks Rob  -  certainly does look very much like a gadget mark - so my original thoughts on dating may well hold up.       Another possible use might have been for gin, and they may equally have been of Continental manufacture.
In view of their age, type of glass and shape, pieces like this might have been made almost anywhere in Europe.
Having said that, C19 drinking glasses have a lot of history in them - who might have used them and when, and where  - I always feel they have a lot of soul in them and are a great area to collect. :)

Offline Novasonic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
Thanks for all your help & info - considering I paid 30p for the pair in a charity shop I think I'll consider that a bargain !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand