No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson Ripple pattern on what?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Davidson Ripple pattern on what?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
sounds more descriptive :).               Seem to recall that when it's convex (rather than concave like this), the the W/Fs people call it cogged  -  but knurled sounds just right.         

Appreciate this is getting a bit sidetracked, and no objection to moving if people wish, but..............
coming back to the proverbial W or M matter - am attaching pix of the stemmed eye bath showing what does appear to be a W.         Doesn't tell us anything about a maker, and may not even be related to the base letter on the Davidson pieces, but thought it worthwhile posting the pix in case of interest.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
W on eye baths could be Woods of Barnsley

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
thanks Christine.

Must admit I know nothing of this pressed manufacturer, but Hajdamach does say that they made 'perfume and toilet water bottles and bath salts jars'........so it's no great leap from those to an eye bath.           Hajdamach also comments that Woods produced designs for Dartington, so would seem they manufactured for themselves as well as other companies.
Seems Woods were manufacturing for something like the first two thirds of the C20 - and were geographically in the 'north' - so might just be a candidate for the Davidson 'W'................although I would have thought that Chris Stewart might have been well aware of this possible connection :-\

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
Woods is the maker of the Lillicraps hone

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
quite right - must have been the most odd piece they made...........I wonder if it really did keep the blades sharp? 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »
They certainly do. The OH has one in use in our bathroom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum