No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Request For Help With an ID  (Read 586 times)

Offline Timosarp1926

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United States
Request For Help With an ID
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
I'm trying to identify the maker of the vase shown in the attached photos.  Due to size limitations I'm only able to show the texture and top ~ 2" of the vase.  The piece is ~ 5 1/2" X 3 1/2", ~ 1/2" thick and weighs ~ 3 pounds.  I've tried to capture the texturally elements which are solid frosted as well as frosted with clear centers created with a swirl so as to suggest movement.  The base has a polished pontil.  My sense is that the piece might be from a 1960's era Czech or Scandinavian maker but your thoughts as to the maker would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Request For Help With an ID
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
Welcome to the board.

It would likely help to see the whole thing, it sounds like you need to resize a photo. Images need to be 124kb or smaller, usually with the longest side around 6 or 700 pixels long.

There are lots of help topics here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

Link to an online resizer here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.msg291088.html#msg291088

Reply and ask for help if you get stuck.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Timosarp1926

• Members
    • Glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
I'm trying to identify the maker of the vase shown in the attached photos.  Due to size limitations I'm only able to show the texture and top ~ 2" of the vase.  The piece is ~ 5 1/2" X 3 1/2", ~ 1/2" thick and weighs ~ 3 pounds.  I've tried to capture the texturally elements which are solid frosted as well as frosted with clear centers created with a swirl so as to suggest movement.  The base has a polished pontil.  My sense is that the piece might be from a 1960's era Czech or Scandinavian maker but your thoughts as to the maker would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
Very beautiful piece. I wish I knew where it came from. My feeling would be either Scandinavian or German. German glassmakers were very fond of using (partial) frosting in the 50s-70s.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Timosarp1926

• Members
    • Glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
Astrid,

Sorry for the tardy reply.  Glad you find the piece appealing.  I readily admit knowing very little about modern German glass but my sense is that the thickness in combination with the somewhat irregular features of the smooth glass elements is atypical of German makers??

Thanks again,
Jeff

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
No, I wouldn't say it was atypical. If you follow my link at the bottom, you can have a look at my collection of German glass and Peill in particular to show you some examples -  I have a lot of clear German crystal pieces that are quite thick-walled, and they also did irregular shapes, like iceberg type vases in the (I think) 70s. Some German firms like Rosenthal also employed Scandinavian designers, so the style distinctions tend to get blurred that way. Partial frosting I've seen mostly in German designs (and a bit in French designs but I really don't have a clue about French glass).

But - I'm not at home enough in Scandinavian glass to firmly point at the German possibility over the Scandinavian options. If it is German, however, and completely unmarked you basically can only wait until someone else finds a labeled one at some point. There were a lot of different factories (most closed down in the 80s or 90s), and not much documentation survives.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Timosarp1926

• Members
    • Glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:54 AM »
Again, thanks for the primer on modern German glass!  The picture were quite a treat.

Jeff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand