No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New member needing help  (Read 7321 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
New member needing help
« on: April 19, 2006, 06:56:02 PM »

let's see if this works ... there should be a picture of a green goblet/chalice here if I've done it right.  I've previewed this first before posting - massive apologies for the big image, I'll get there in the end.

ANYWAY, the whole point of this thread is to see if anyone can identify it for me - my first reaction was that this was Scandinavian - possibly by Helena Tynell - but I'm not certain.  Thanks everyone in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
New member needing help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 07:03:49 PM »
Thank you for the welcome Christine.  I've been watching the postings on here for quite a while but hadn't joined until now.  Some of my Chance glass images were used in the project to catalogue Fiestaware, that's what brought me here.  Sorry again about the ENORMO image above, I'll reduce my pics down before doing this again - at least it worked though.  Any ideas on this goblet?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
New member needing help
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »
I'll bite.

To me this is a footed votive (flat bottom, windows) which was originally blown in a iron strip with punched out holes. The strip was susceptible to rust and was removed - and the resulting goblet is quite an interesting design.

I have here a similar item in two parts; the stem is wrought iron and the top half is in ruby red, with strip intact  I also have a set of 6 shot glasses in cobalt blue blown into a rusting punched strip, and a tall vase. I also remember these items from ill lit restaurants back in the 80ies, especially the ones doing spare ribs.  

I have no idea who made these glasses, but the cast iron parts and overall workmanship looks very Spanish. Of course it depends on the finish of the glass if the above is true or not....

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
New member needing help
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »
Thank you for that Ivo - how interesting, it being Spanish is something I'd not considered which is abit embarrassing if it is because my Mum is from Barcelona!  Do you have any pictures of your items that you could show me for comparison - they sound very interesting?

Offline chuggy

• Members
New member needing help
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43:42 PM »
Ivo's description of the production sounds very similar to some of the Flygsfors work by Wiktor Berndt that was blown through copper collars and bands, though these remained in place on the completed items.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
New member needing help
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
http://i3.tinypic.com/vzbp7k.jpg

Here is the set - the quality difference is remarkable, the jug and 6 glasses have a sand pontil (quite neat but not finished); the votive has a cut rim (2, actually!) which is coursely ground but hey who notices inside the wrought iron, and the copper banded vase is quite well finished - up to and including an uncertain mark in the copper.

Please, Paul, tell me some of this is Flygsfors!

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
New member needing help
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 11:08:07 PM »
Hi Pip,

I think your glass would look pretty cool next to my decanter.

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:

I don't have the facilities to take such lovely photos yet, but OH is working on it for me. :wink:  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
New member needing help
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 07:27:23 PM »
ooh that's nice Della - sorry I didn't see your reply until just now  :? !  What can you tell me about your decanter - do you know the maker or designer?  I've looked up the other fella on the net that was mentioned earlier in this thread - is your decanter one of his also?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
New member needing help
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 07:36:54 PM »
Hiya Pip,
Sorry, the jury is still out on this piece. I haven't got a clue, other than to say that it is a quality piece.
I wish I could give you more information. If I find out more I will let you know. I cannot find anything like it on the internet and I know if someone doesn't reply to a post here, that they don't know or the right person hasn't chanced along. I am patient and it is a keeper, but so far, all of my glass is :lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
New member needing help
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »
There's a vase here with similar nodules, with a Hirschberg label.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7410600149

robbo
robbo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand