No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano paperweight - why so expensive???  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Why???
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
"Vintage Retro" is acceptable given the modern meanings of "Vintage" as: "classic", "old", "outdated" and so forth.

"Hand-blown" is acceptable when it refers to items that were not "machine blown".

But a "Hand-blown" solid glass paperweight is not ... unless it is one that has has a label saying "Hand-blown Glass" (such labels do exist).

But surely retro refers to a modern item in the style of a vintage piece so it can't be both?

I've never seen the labels but a solid glass paperweight is not blown? Surely only hollow items glasses, bowl etc can be blown?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Re: Murano paperweight - why so expensive???
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
...but here's a thing - I used to have a shop that I modestly had a sign made with my own name on it - thing was an awful lot of the people that came to it called it "that retro shop." Grammatically incorrect but if that's what people that sought it out for its piles of things predominantly from the 50s, 60s and 70s then that's what I let the stuff be called.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »
Vintage is a very overused word to try and make the item appealing but to my way of thinking it should also state a period of time such as.
       69 vintage, 50s vintage,  early twentieth century vintage.

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
A young couple moves into a new neighborhood. The next morning while they are eating breakfast, the young woman sees her neighbor hanging the wash outside. "That laundry is not very clean; she doesn't know how to wash correctly. Perhaps she needs better laundry soap." Her husband looks on, remaining silent. Every time her neighbor hangs her wash to dry, the young woman makes the same comments. A month later, the woman is surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and says to her husband: "Look, she's finally learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this? " The husband replies, "I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows." And so it is with life... What we see when watching others depends on the clarity of the window through which we look.
Tony

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:51 AM »
A young couple moves into a new neighborhood. The next morning while they are eating breakfast, the young woman sees her neighbor hanging the wash outside. "That laundry is not very clean; she doesn't know how to wash correctly. Perhaps she needs better laundry soap." Her husband looks on, remaining silent. Every time her neighbor hangs her wash to dry, the young woman makes the same comments. A month later, the woman is surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and says to her husband: "Look, she's finally learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this? " The husband replies, "I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows." And so it is with life... What we see when watching others depends on the clarity of the window through which we look.

Not quite sure what your implying here but it seems slightly insulting  >:(

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »
I do not believe there is any insult beyond that within the fable.
It is merely illustrating the point that different folk have different perspectives and that sometimes, those perspectives might come from erroneous viewpoints.

Alsretro - when I visited your shop, when I thought about either of your shops, it was as "your" shop - as in your name above the door.
(and all the lovely rummaging I could do there while enjoying a chat with you!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »
"I do not believe there is any insult beyond that within the fable.
It is merely illustrating the point that different folk have different perspectives and that sometimes, those perspectives might come from erroneous viewpoints." by chopin-liszt

"BRAVO" Sue (M), "bravo"...

Thank you,
Tony
Tony

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
Hmmm.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
Gets complicated after a while doesn't it. I give up and give in and give you all my best regards.   Roger the Dodger. :)   

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ONE-OF-A-KIND-STUNNING-GLASS-PAPERWEIGHT-WITH-UNIQUE-BLUE-GLASS-TEARDROP-/190610051112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c613e9028

That Ebay auction is a gem my personal favourite part is "WE KNOW NOTHIGN OTHER THAN IT IS REALLY NEAT"

Genius.

I often get ridiculed by those who know me for putting words such as stunning, magnificent and gorgeous in my listing title but I just can't stop myself now. I have tried.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand