No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Butterfly, How many pieces ?  (Read 7315 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Sowerby Butterfly, How many pieces ?
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:21 AM »
Hi, I would like to know if the Sowerby butterfly set is 5 pieces or six.    1-Tray, 2-Candleholders, 3-Pin Dish, 4-Lidded Pot. That is what the site says it consists of but I have seen somewhere that it may have 2 sizes of lidded pot, could you confirm either way please. It doesn,t seem to have the room for another lidded pot and the idea it has something other than 5 pieces wont go away. Thanks for your help in advance, (I will not be happy if I have to find another mint condition lidded pot  ;D)
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Sowerby Butterfly, How many pieces ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
Generally they have two pots of differing sizes.  Having two candlesticks and a lid per pot is perhaps more important than having all the pots for resale. Postage is another issue!!

And all the pieces in a trinket set are often counted too, i.e., including the lids. 

Trinket sets are not usually meant to fit all on the tray. The candlesticks are to be set one each side of your dressing table to illuminate your face. The tray catches the spills and drips from the pots.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
The pot I have is 9.5cm diameter and 5.5cm in height (Measured just the pot without the lid). What size is the second pot ? Mine looks to be the smaller one to me. Strange that the second pot idea wouldnt go away  :D Will try to get hold of it and the pin dish. Putting the candle holders either side of a dresser does make sense  ::) Im only a man ;D my excuse and im sticking to it. So two pieces to find still. I have set myself the challenge of putting together a mint condition set for some reason. Thanks Lustrousstone
Pete. :-)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:36 PM »
Anne's GTS site pages on the Sowerby Butterfly 2552 set at
http://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms15/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=107
only shows one lidded pot in the Sowerby catalogue , the set consisting of a tray, pair of candlesticks, a single lidded pot, and pintray - 5 pieces (the lidded pot counting as one piece).

Certainly I would only count a lidded pot as one piece rather than two.

I can't recall having seen 2 sizes of lidded pot with a Sowerby Butterfly set, and a quick scan of current and completed ebay listings only show sets with one lidded pot.

As to the 'usual' number of pots in a set - there is no 'rule' as far as I am aware. The Sowerby 2487, 2501 and 2638 sets are only shown in the catalogue as having a single lidded pot. Other sets have 3 pots (usually, but not invariably, 1 large and 2 small). Many other sets have 2 lidded pots (in 2 different sizes).

The pin dish/tray is often seen on eBay either on its own or with other pieces of a part set. The Sowerby butterfly set is common in all the colour combinations so the completion of a mint set using odd pieces should not be a difficult task. good luck.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »
There are two sizes of pot. And some of the catalogues do count all the pieces in a set
Here is a small one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sowerby-Uranium-Art-Deco-Depression-Small-Green-Glass-Butterfly-Trinket-Pot-NO-1-/261162825927

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
Thank you, Christine.

I see that the pot in your link has a diameter of 7cm, and Anne's pot measurement is given as 3.5 inches (which is about 89mm).  If there is one only lidded pot listed with a set the actual measurements are rarely given, so I'll pay more attention to the sizes of of pots listed in Sowerby butterly sets in future. and I'll certainly be looking for sets offered with with 2 sizes of pot with renewed interest.

I think Anne usually counts a lidded pot as one piece rather than two (though I'm sure she will soon clarify the situation if not), but I would agree that there is no fixed 'convention' as to how many pieces constitute a single lidded pot. The easiest way surely is to describe the piece simply as a "lidded pot" thereby avoiding any potential confusion, and look at the 'piece count' of a set with quizical detachment pending more detailed appraisal.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »
Actually I have just found this set with two lidded pots on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-Art-Deco-Butterfly-Patterened-Green-Glass-8pc-Dressing-Table-Set-/181078969144?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item2a2925cb38

I should have remembered it because I was the person who identified the pattern for the seller - Doh!?

The seller didn't give the pot measurements though, and the photo doesn't really show if the pots differ in size, though I suppose if you squint a bit the pot on the left might seem a little smaller.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
Pete says his pot is 9.5 cm...

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
Perhaps we are looking for three lidded pots of different sizes!

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
I have this set with only one pot measuring 3.5 inches on checking my Sowerby cds from Glen & Stephen Thistlewood the catalogue states only one pot measuring 3.5 inches diameter and it is called a 5 piece set. ;D Although the pottery gazette shows a picture with two pots (and only one candlestick maybe the photographer liked the pots better !!) BUT I have the bottom of a smaller pot measuring 3 inches diameter !!?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand